986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Unable to start (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48330)

Rlwalker799 09-10-2013 01:06 PM

Unable to start

This issue started with a dead battery after not driving for 2 days. After charging and testing the battery under load ( tests good), starting attempt yields nothing- nary a sound , no solenoid sound - zip. Any thought s as to the problem?

Jager 09-10-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rlwalker799 (Post 362482)
This issue started with a dead battery after not driving for 2 days. After charging and testing the battery under load ( tests good), starting attempt yields nothing- nary a sound , no solenoid sound - zip. Any thought s as to the problem?

Dash lights come on when you turn the key?

Rlwalker799 09-10-2013 05:00 PM

Yup dash lights are on. Key turn produces nada

Jager 09-10-2013 05:28 PM

Automatic or standard transmission? How does the key feel in the ignition switch... anything unusual when turning the key?

Jager 09-10-2013 05:58 PM

The clutch switch could be bad, can you bypass and test?

The battery cables could be corroded and not providing enough current to the starter, inspects the battery cables not just the terminals. We have seen cables corrode and break apart.

Check connections to the starter.

Ignition switch could be bad; this is a common problem area.

Electronic Immobilizer might be preventing you from starting if the induction coil surrounding the ignition switch is not recognizing the transponder in your key.

HammerESQ 09-10-2013 06:01 PM

I had this issue, I changed the ignition switch, and the clutch safety switch, both parts were under $50 on Pelican, and one of them fixed my issue.

Both are wear items, and will go at some point. I'm guessing it was the clutch switch because the ignition felt okay, but why not change them both to avoid issues.

Rlwalker799 09-11-2013 01:50 AM

Unable to start

Lights go out on key turn Battery connections are good w/o corrosion, ignition switch was replaced not Long ago and feels normal. I don't know the location of the clutch switch but if there is a starter , solenoid , or other ignition system fault it deveveloped suddenly without any warning signs/ sounds

Spinnaker 09-11-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rlwalker799 (Post 362616)
I don't know the location of the clutch switch

part #17
Some people have tried contact cleaner on the switch with some sucess. Others have bypassed the switch, but you have to be careful when starting the engine. Make sure it is in neutral or have the clutch pedal depressed.
Pedals 97 See Technical Manual 46 05 19 30 05 19

HammerESQ 09-11-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rlwalker799 (Post 362616)
Lights go out on key turn Battery connections are good w/o corrosion, ignition switch was replaced not Long ago and feels normal. I don't know the location of the clutch switch but if there is a starter , solenoid , or other ignition system fault it deveveloped suddenly without any warning signs/ sounds

The clutch switch is really straightforward, you just have to contort yourself into a strange position to do it (Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Brake Pedal Switch Replacement / Clutch Pedal Switch Replacement - 986 / 987)

The ignition switch is a bit more of a PITA, but also easily done with a few tools and an afternoon (Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Ignition Switch Replacement - 986 / 987)

However - When I had my no-start issue I don't believe the lights on my dash went out when I turned the key. Before buying anything I would check the trigger and 12v connections on the starter, and maybe tap the solenoid with a hammer before ordering parts.

Good luck!

Rlwalker799 09-11-2013 06:46 AM

unable to start

the lights i was referring to in the earlier post were the headlights, the indicator lights stay lit on key turn

dghii 09-11-2013 07:16 AM

Although you have load tested the battery, it might be interesting to put a meter on and look at the battery voltage when you turn the key.

Other easier test....turn on lights, turn key (I know nothing is happening), do the lights dim?

RoadsideStig 09-15-2013 06:17 AM

Does your engine turn over? If it could be a bad fuel pump, listen for the sound of it pressurizing.