Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2006, 08:46 AM   #1

Boxter in snow

Just had my first experience driving my Box in snow-packed road conditions. I had put Blizzak's all around and was quite surprized by the handling and traction. It was great! For those of you in snow country who want a Boxter as an everday driver have no fear...just be cautious! Those four-wheelers were flipping all around the place. Not a plug for Blizzak's, but they do seem to work.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
Are Blizzak a type of tire ?

Blizzak is a brand of tires sold by Bridgestone.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #3

Blizzak

Yes, they are manufactured by Bridgestone and are said to be as effective as studded tires, but of course they don't have studs. Not cheap, they ran me about $800 for four. But I fealt the investment was worth the cost...kind of like insurance. But I am pleased with the result. Found them by reading reviews for snows on performance cars on the Web. You in snow country?
Old 01-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #4

Blizzak

Nope, just one set of 17"s...I'll switch 'em out in April. (Still snows here in April) Regular local Firestone (where I bought the tires) will do it for free...part of the deal. They take a whole day though..they said they want to be VERY careful with the rims. Seems they like the car!
Old 01-20-2006, 12:50 PM   #5

After the first snow storm I found a set of barely used Dunlop Winter Sports with rims on EBAY ($500.00 + $200.00 shipping). It definately made a difference. It's still not up to par with a front wheel drive or 4-wheel drive car - but it's nice knowing I can get to work or home if it snows. Before I got the snows it was white knuckle the whole way home!

If you're going to have a daily driver in snow country - I'd recommend the 2 sets of rims (if you can find some cheap). The rims that came with the snows I bought are in decent (but not great) shape so I'm not so worried about scuffing them up due to sand or curbs.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:02 PM   #6

Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
After the first snow storm I found a set of barely used Dunlop Winter Sports with rims on EBAY ($500.00 + $200.00 shipping). It definately made a difference. It's still not up to par with a front wheel drive or 4-wheel drive car - but it's nice knowing I can get to work or home if it snows. Before I got the snows it was white knuckle the whole way home!

If you're going to have a daily driver in snow country - I'd recommend the 2 sets of rims (if you can find some cheap). The rims that came with the snows I bought are in decent (but not great) shape so I'm not so worried about scuffing them up due to sand or curbs.
What part of the Denver area are you in? I am in Centennial...
Old 01-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #7

Its interesting to note that Porsche offers snow chains. See their website. Definitely made to be driven.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:24 AM   #8

Blizzaks are the absolute best winter tire IMHO. I bought a set for my BMW 328CI when I started working for a client in the Poconos and had to commute up there every day. I would travel on snow/ice covered roads every day getting to and from the office. Not once did I ever have a problem. As a matter of fact, with the traction control the car actually handled better than any 4 wheel drive on the highway. Obviously, the 4 wheel drives do better starting out and in deep snow, but for normal highway/road use the Blizzaks made the car bulletproof.

They are expensive, especially when you consider that only half the thread has the "magic" compound. Thus halfway throught the tire's life you loose the great snow/ice handling features.

Rob
rteichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:02 AM   #9

12" last night so I took the 2000S out for a spin to see how it would do. I got around OK but wouldn't attempt this again. I use Pirelli M+S all season tires. Definitly not snow tires but I didn't want the hassle of 2 dedicated sets of tires. Luckily, in Chicago, the snow is usually cleared in 1-2 hours and isn't a problem. On average we receive maybe 2 days you absolutely cannot drive the Porsche.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #10

Due to its low ride clearance, the box is not really a "winter car." As soon as the snow builds up under the pam, it is bye-bye!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Due to its low ride clearance, the box is not really a "winter car." As soon as the snow builds up under the pam, it is bye-bye!
You mean I've been improperly driving in the snow all year? Damn! Next you'll tell me that due to the lack of doors and a top Harley's aren't made to be ridden in the winter. I'll probably have to stop doing that as well - and I was so enjoying myself...

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
You mean I've been improperly driving in the snow all year? Damn! Next you'll tell me that due to the lack of doors and a top Harley's aren't made to be ridden in the winter. I'll probably have to stop doing that as well - and I was so enjoying myself...
LOL yeah BruceLee means that you'll be a Porsche plow on unscraped roads. Man, doesn't Denver measure their snowstorms in feet??

Had my harley out yesterday. It certainly clears the mind.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:53 AM   #13

Yes, exactly what I mean. Once the snow gets to say, 7 inches or so, one would expect you to simply wedge up on the snow and stay stuck. Unless of course, your car can move while its wheels are in the air.

Best of luck with that!

Old 01-22-2006, 12:09 PM   #14

But with snow tires, the car can be used pretty much through the winter except on the actual snow days. I bet they are pretty good at clearing the roads in Denver. In the Boston area they are pretty good too although after nor'easters it takes a while to really clean up, especially the "berms" that are sometimes a foot high.

You boys and girls in CA got it good.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #15
PSP

What's snow?

It's kind of chilly today - about 73 degrees
(South Orange County, CA)
PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #16
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
What's snow?

It's kind of chilly today - about 73 degrees
(South Orange County, CA)

PSP...oouch! Paybacks are a ********************!

At least we don't have earthquakes, mudslides and forest fires here in the Chicago 'burbs!
Old 01-22-2006, 01:11 PM   #17
PSP

Sorry - couldn't resist
PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:48 PM   #18

Been to Chicago in winter and summer.

I will take the earthquakes!