986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   hello! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48214)

BTfd2e93 09-05-2013 09:28 AM

hello!

New to the forum..... just to say Hi!

Looking at buying a 2001 boxster as a daily driver.... found this site to be a great resource!

hope to share good news to you guys soon.

Will be checking out a potential tomorrow. :)

RandallNeighbour 09-05-2013 09:44 AM

Be very picky about your choice of Boxster. There are a lot of them out there and it's well worth the wait to find one that doesn't have a lot of stories and has low miles an good repair and maintenance records.

And one more thing... you will not regret buying an 2003 S model or younger car if you can find one, even if you have to wait and save more money to afford it. The rear glass window and larger motor are a HUGE plus in ownership. Trust me when I tell you this.

HAUSIDMT 09-05-2013 10:49 AM

+1, many will do the amberectomy as well. Welcome, but take you time and do your homework for sure.

Coffinhunter 09-05-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 361515)
Be very picky about your choice of Boxster. There are a lot of them out there and it's well worth the wait to find one that doesn't have a lot of stories and has low miles an good repair and maintenance records.

And one more thing... you will not regret buying an 2003 S model or younger car if you can find one, even if you have to wait and save more money to afford it. The rear glass window and larger motor are a HUGE plus in ownership. Trust me when I tell you this.

Not to mention the glovebox:cheers:

BTfd2e93 09-05-2013 06:08 PM

thanks for the response guys :)

defo can appreciate the point about a car being well maintained and low mileage is key.

having said that, if a 2001 boxster tiptronic ..... is well maintained by the dealer regularly ... and around 70K km (thats around 50K miles) ..... is a decent selection?

or is there some systemic problem / issue with pre 2003 boxsters?

im using this car as a get-around car, and fun in the sun when weather suits.

ill probably put 10K miles on it per year.

forgot to mention, Im actually based in Hong Kong :)

Timco 09-05-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 361515)

Mine has 127k and I won't sell for any amount. (reasonable :D) mileage isn't everything.

As for newer car, glass window, engine, GLOVE BOX.

BTfd2e93 09-05-2013 06:31 PM

btw, if an IMS upgrade hasnt already been done, how can I check what part I need to upgrade it? (single? dual?)

Ive searched, but not sure there is a definitive answer ..... some suggest, to take the transmission apart and look at it visually ... but defo prefer a less intrusive approach!

BTfd2e93 09-10-2013 02:11 AM

just to let u guys know ... pulled the trigger on a 2001 boxster. will post up pics once i pick it up (probably friday).

Here are the things im going to do ..... would appreciate any other suggestions on stuff to change.

1) oil & filter change
2) transmission oil change
3) cabin filter change
4) new LN IMS bearing (still trying to figure out if I need the single row or double row .... can't seem to find out properly)
5) maybe air filter depending on the condition

anything else you guys recommend I change?

urban 09-10-2013 02:01 PM

I think that 00-01 models may be either double or single row, so you'll have to take it out to know for sure. LN doesn't accept returns on open boxes (don't forget that!!).

The first thing I wanted to change on my Boxster was the stereo and speakers :)

Just drive it and have fun!

BTfd2e93 09-10-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban (Post 362493)
I think that 00-01 models may be either double or single row, so you'll have to take it out to know for sure. LN doesn't accept returns on open boxes (don't forget that!!).

The first thing I wanted to change on my Boxster was the stereo and speakers :)

Just drive it and have fun!

I plan to! :) ...

the stereo has already been changed ... but I can always find an excuse to upgrade ..hahaha

any good suggestions for single DIN head units?

i checked crutchfield .... it seems the entire market has moved away from Single DIN units now, majority having 7" screens DDIN .....

dghii 09-10-2013 08:16 PM

Fuel filter
Flush brakes/clutch lines
Check coolant level for a week or so to verify no leaks.