Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2006, 02:37 PM   #1

Aero II wing install

I have ordered an Aero II wing, and one I started doing some reading on installing it I found out that pre-2002 trunk lids are different. From what I understand, the 02 and up models have places to drill the holes that can be seen from the underside. Has anyone put the Aero II wing on a pre-02 model, and if so how did you determine where to drill the holes. If anyone has any pics or measurements that would be great. Thanks in advance for any help.

porscheguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:55 PM   #2

Here is a picture of my 02 and the only thing that even resembled marks to drill...
sdkkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkkv
Here is a picture of my 02 and the only thing that even resembled marks to drill...
According to the Porsche bulletin, those are the spots to drill, but mine is missing those marks. Thanks for confirming that they do exist on an 02. I was hoping someone had pics of their pre-02 installed spoiler, or could provide any direction.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #4

This is also on my winter list of enhancements. How do you intend to disable the factory spoiler? I have read that there is more to it than just pulling the fuse to avoid dashboard indicator lights. Where did you purchase the aero II?
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve00s
This is also on my winter list of enhancements. How do you intend to disable the factory spoiler? I have read that there is more to it than just pulling the fuse to avoid dashboard indicator lights. Where did you purchase the aero II?

I disconnected it back at the actual spoiler. If I remember correctly I just had to remove the left inside panel and the center black cover piece around the latch to access the clip that goes to the motor. It probably took 5-10 minutes. As far as the spoiler, I bought a factory spoiler with all hardware from http://www.departstop.com/ for 499.00 USD. I could not pass it up because everywhere I looked they were 800.00 or even 650.00 for a reproduction. Hopefully someone who has one on their car now can help us out.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:01 PM   #6

I have the Porsche Tech bulletin in PDF for installing the Aero Kit II on 2002 and later cars, but I don’t think this is what you are asking for, is it?!? Anybody else need it?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:22 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheguy05
I disconnected it back at the actual spoiler. If I remember correctly I just had to remove the left inside panel and the center black cover piece around the latch to access the clip that goes to the motor. It probably took 5-10 minutes. As far as the spoiler, I bought a factory spoiler with all hardware from http://www.departstop.com/ for 499.00 USD. I could not pass it up because everywhere I looked they were 800.00 or even 650.00 for a reproduction. Hopefully someone who has one on their car now can help us out.

Precision Porsche in LA sells them for $450.00. I have spoken to the owner about them as i wanted to get one but deceided to first do the GT3 front bumper. Anyway according to him there is no need to chnage the rear deck lid. If you would like you can call him at (310) 320-0007 (his name is Tony) and im sure he would be more than happy to help you out in figuring where to drill the holes on your pre 02.
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Precision Porsche in LA sells them for $450.00. I have spoken to the owner about them as i wanted to get one but deceided to first do the GT3 front bumper. Anyway according to him there is no need to chnage the rear deck lid. If you would like you can call him at (310) 320-0007 (his name is Tony) and im sure he would be more than happy to help you out in figuring where to drill the holes on your pre 02.

I might go ahead and call him. I actually talked to him about two weeks ago. I am sure his wings are fine, but they are aftermarket copies with an aftermarket light in the rear. He said he would swap out the light he uses for a factory one for about and additional $50. I figured that for basically the same price I would go for the factory spoiler. I will say that from what I have seen though, they do manufacture nice parts.