Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #1

'03 Boxster S v. '00 996

Considering between a very low mileage '03 986 S and and a relatively high mileage '00 996. Details are below. I imagine others on the board faced a similar decison. What would you guys do? This car will not be a daily driver. (Daily driver = '06 CS Black/Black)

The 996--

'00 Blue/Black/Black
40,000 miles
Non-CPO-- Private seller.
$35,900 (asking).

PROS-- Depreciation will slow (original sticker was $87K); 911 mystique
CONS-- Non- CPO; RMS risk?; good, but not flawless condition

The 986 S--

'03 Arctic/Black/Black
7,500 miles
CPO
$38,900 (asking price)

PROS-- Virtually brand new condition; warranty; prefer styling of 986 better than 996
CONS-- Not a 911; Lesser performance; Perception of Boxster as "secretarys" car (I can see getting tired of annoying comments...they are starting to come already)

I would appreciate hearing from those of you who chose a Boxster over a somewhat higher mileage 911 about you thought process. Many thanks.

todd1ada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Do not even consider the Boxster a secretary car. A Kia,or Civic is a Secretarys car,not a Boxster. Some guy came into my work the other day and called my Boxster a "girls car",HE DROVE A TT. I have seen 3 times as many women driving Audi TT's then Boxsters.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
bmussatti

todd1ada, the choice seems like an easy one to make. But, you are kind of hung-up on what other people "think" about your car (choice). Don't be so concerned about what others think.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #4

Go for the boxster... You can neg a good price have the warrenty as a piece of mind and in my experence the only thing people see is "Porsche" only a few can even tell the difference and most that have the secretary comment haven't drive a porsche and just need to release hot air!!! Good Luck....

1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:23 PM   #5

Low mileage box with CPO and nearly as much power (IMO) vs. older 996 with higher mileage for similar price? The first expensive repair will tell you the answer to this question. If you paid $1200 instead of the PCA, you'll wish you'd bought the box if these were your only two choices.

Ignore the comments and enjoy the boxster.

... now wouldn't you fully expect all of us to tell you to buy the boxster? Look at the name of the forum!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #6

well if you are concerned with people who know nothing about Porsches have to say then by all means go for the 996 and don't look at the Boxster at all.

Since 1997 I don't think I have ever read anything but stellar reviews for the Boxster in every well regarded sportscar magazine. (you know the guys who actually drive these things). Top gear even named it the best sportscar in the world. The Boxster is the first and only full blooded convertible Porsche has built.
When the Carrera GT was designed they put the engine in the middle (just like Boxster and NOT the rear like the 996). Tells you something about what they think the best layout is for a HIGH performance car.

The Boxster and the Carrera are two totally different sportscar concepts.

asking should I pick a Boxster or a Carrera is like saying should I buy an M3 or an X5. Roadsters are Roadsters and Coupe are Coupes. If you want the 'flash' of Porsche and top down fun consider a 996 Cabriolet. But that's a compromised sportscar in my book. In Europe they really look down hacking the roof of a serious Coupe.

If you want a convertible go with a Boxster, there isn't a better roadster availble for less than $100K. Make sure you get a BoxsterS if you spring for it. In used values its not worth passing up.

If you want sports coupe there are way better options than a 996 for the money.
A beautiful car but very over priced for the performance on paper. But since your dealing with used its a decent option for the money. I plan to add a CarreraS to my stable as my "practical" car in a couple of years. I think the prices are still not quiet at the sweet spot of residual value. But as far your 996 I think you find a lower mileage model if you keep looking.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-19-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
todd1ada, the choice seems like an easy one to make. But, you are kind of hung-up on what other people "think" about your car (choice). Don't be so concerned about what others think.

I was afraid some would focus in on this. I'm not really concerned about it. If I were, I wouldn't even be considering the 986. But, you can't really deny that it is something that comes along with owning a Boxster as compared to a 911, especially for a Porsche enthusiast.

At the heart of it is whether, for about the same $$, I will have a better overall ownership experience with a low mileage 986 S or the higher mileage 996.

BMUSSATTI, I am wondering whether you considered both cars.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

... now wouldn't you fully expect all of us to tell you to buy the boxster? Look at the name of the forum!
Thanks RN-- I posted here because I knew I would get a more "honest answer". If I posted the same question on a 996 board I know what the response would be.

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap

If you want sports coupe there are way better options than a 996 for the money.
I should have mentioned that the 996 I am looking at is a Cabrio.

Thanks Perfect Lap
Old 01-19-2006, 01:42 PM   #10

Go for the Boxster! It’s practically new.

You will not be disappointed.

The car’s very quick, has amazing breaks and the top comes down!

The first nice day, or night, that you motor-about with the top down will erase any perceptions you have about the Box being a secretary’s" car.

Oh, it also has two trunks

04S
bob
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #11

I would never buy a 996 Cabriolet unless it was being sold for a REALLY low price.
You just can't beat Mid Engine dynamics. PERIOD.
There are tons of these Cabs for sale eveywhere. I think the average Porsche buyer of this car is not really so familiar with the brand and is looking for a status symbol trade off between "fun" convertible and a piece of the 911 history. I must have counted 20 of them in SOuth Beach Miami last week. One really nice Black one with red Interior. Definitely a looker not really the choice of a Purist. Even the 997 Cab is receiving some complaints of a bucking rear axle in mid corner.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #12
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1ada
I was afraid some would focus in on this. I'm not really concerned about it. If I were, I wouldn't even be considering the 986. But, you can't really deny that it is something that comes along with owning a Boxster as compared to a 911, especially for a Porsche enthusiast.

At the heart of it is whether, for about the same $$, I will have a better overall ownership experience with a low mileage 986 S or the higher mileage 996.

BMUSSATTI, I am wondering whether you considered both cars.
I have ordered a new 987S. I take delivery in March. I only seriously considered the Boxster. I very-very briefly thought about a Vette, 300Z and BMW Conv.

Only test drove the Boxster. It will be a toy for me and not a daily driver.

I did not consicer the Carrera because I liked the Boxster best.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:29 PM   #13

Drive and decide!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
I had the same choice at the time when i was buying my car... Although i had a choice of a new 996 or a new 986. I was 16 at the time and just couldnt see myself driving a 996. Id pick the Boxster 10/10 if i could do it over again. Now if i had a choice of the 996 4S or above thats a different story...

Go for the Boxster, you wont be disappointed. In your situation I think the warranty fact really tips the scale.
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:06 PM   #15

Tough call, but the good news is it's a win-win situation, cause either way you have a Porsche. Cost wise the 911 will be more expensive over the long run for sure. If you are willing to make a good finanical decision, considering the milage difference, you should force yourself to do 1 year less of financing for the 911 vs. Boxster (if you are doing a standard 60 month, force yourself to do 48 month on the 911 if you ). If you can't afford to do that, than you really can't afford a 911.

A 911 is a 911, and there is a lot of heritage there. However, I have a feeling in 30 years I'm gonna be glad I stuck with a Boxster, because forever a 986 will be the "Original" Boxster. No one can deny that the 986 is the main reason Porsche didn't get bought out like every other car company (hell now they even own part of VW!); bringing Porsche back from a sad early 90's. The 986 was and is the begining of Porsches first new legacy since the 911 was introduced over 40 years ago.

Either way you will love it and like Randal said, what did you expect us to say? Ha!
Old 01-19-2006, 07:17 PM   #16

lol...get the boxster! A 3.4L cabbie is barely faster than a 03 S and you get the engine in the right place with the boxster. I got a ride in a 3.4L C4 coup and it was not perceptibly faster than my boxster S. I like that people underestimate the boxster.

Last edited by Adam; 01-20-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:48 PM   #17

40K 996 vs warrantied 8K 986 S? I'd take 986 S anytime a day.

Putting 30K miles into a car does not take long and sooner or later, you will have 70K miles 996 which may requires a lot of maintenance and has high risk of RMS blowup.

It is a different story if the other car is a higher end model (say GT3) with 40K
Old 01-20-2006, 09:02 AM   #18

Bmussatti;

I just wanted to congratulate you on contributing 683 posts before your car is even on the boat from Uusikaupunki.

BTW, I read in another thread that you ordered the white one...I think that's a great call and would do the same if I could do it over again.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote