986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "The Red Clip" (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4788)

tonyg 01-16-2006 01:52 PM

"The Red Clip"

I have read in many after market publications and internet sites about the "red clip" that allows for the infra-red scanner to work as part of the alarm system when the top is down by engaging the "clip" in the lock on the windscreen header - it's a fairly large clip that would be easily seen by potential thieves and vandals - discouraging them from reaching in and removing the K40 of the windshield. The last article said it was a $5 dollar item available at the local Porsche parts department, however, my dealer knows nothing about it and said it must be an aftermarket part. Has anyone seen or purchased this "red clip" and where?

bmussatti 01-16-2006 01:56 PM

You can get it from Suncoast. Shipping will cost more than the clip, so you may want to wait until you have other things to order. Actually, the clip is pretty small.

bmussatti 01-16-2006 01:59 PM

The part number at Suncoast is 98650498600 and costs $3.95.

RandallNeighbour 01-16-2006 02:15 PM

tony, it's not large though.... just bright red. Mine is about 1.5 inches long, and about .75 inches wide or so.

tonyg 01-16-2006 02:27 PM

Thanks all. What's the Suncoast web address?

PorscheDoc 01-16-2006 02:51 PM

Tony, I have one sitting here still in the wrapper that i have no use for. PM me your address and i will drop it in an envelope and it is yours.

graybeard 01-16-2006 03:10 PM

The "RED CLIP" is part of the speedster humps and can be purchased by itself

bmussatti 01-16-2006 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyg
Thanks all. What's the Suncoast web address?

www.suncoastporsche.com.

tqtran 01-16-2006 07:51 PM

My local Porsche dealer didn't know about it either.
Just bring in the part # and they can order it for you from that.

Tool Pants 01-16-2006 07:52 PM

$3.95. Porsche should be shot.

I use to buy a bunch of them at a time for 50 cents to give to new owners who came to our events. At our Boxster tech sessions at my local dealer there would be a bag of them to take.

Trivia. You got the red clip if you ordered what options for a 986.

MNBoxster 01-16-2006 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
$3.95. Porsche should be shot.

I use to buy a bunch of them at a time for 50 cents to give to new owners who came to our events. At our Boxster tech sessions at my local dealer there would be a bag of them to take.

Trivia. You got the red clip if you ordered what options for a 986.

Hi,

ANSWER: The Speedster Rear Option - Code: XAB... :)

The Red Clip was originally designed and intended to prevent accidental closing of the Top while the Speedster Humps were installed and was originally only available as part of that XAB Option Kit.

The Fact that it also falsely signaled the Alarm Control Module that the Top was in the Closed Position was incidental and resulted in energizing the Infared Passenger Compartment Monitor when the Car was locked...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Tool Pants 01-16-2006 08:31 PM

Humps is one option. There are others.

MNBoxster 01-16-2006 08:41 PM

Quote:

Humps is one option. There are others.

Hi,

I believe that it is also used with the Hardtop and the Roof Rack System...

Tool Pants 01-16-2006 09:01 PM

No to hardtop, yes to roof rack. There is 1 option left, and it was a very uncommon option.

MNBoxster 01-16-2006 09:38 PM

Quote:

No to hardtop, yes to roof rack. There is 1 option left, and it was a very uncommon option.

Hi,

Doooh.... Option Code X68 - Convertible Tonneau Cover... :)

Tool Pants 01-16-2006 09:55 PM

That's it. In the last years of the 986 this option was deleted by Porsche. I have seen only one local 986 (a 1999) that had it as a factory option.

BobMarley1 01-17-2006 08:23 AM

Doesn't seem to work

very well, I mean the sensor.

Is there a way to strengthen the "eye"?

I can lock my car, then wave my hand all around in the interior and the alarm will not go off.

RandallNeighbour 01-17-2006 09:03 AM

BobMarley:

I don't think you can increase the strength, angle or area covered by the sensor.

If you have the red clip on the car, top and windows down, and you lock your car with your remote, then wait about five minutes, it should sound the alarm when you try to reach into the car and take something out of your cubby holes in front of the shifter.

It will not keep someone from slipping their hand down the door and into the map pockets, rear storage area, or go off if someone pops out your rollbar inserts or windscreen... so be forewarned.

The center console below your elbow is covered by the alarm via a wire, however, so anything inside there is protected by your horn making a racket, if you want to call that protection.

FWIW - I rarely leave my top down, even when I'm at Starbucks and can sit outside and watch the car. Theives can rip you off 20 feet away and be gone in 5 seconds or less, taking your windscreen and rollbar inserts. Same goes for your radar detector, even though it will set off the alarm due to proximity to the sensors. It's just not worth the risk to lose hundreds of dollars of stuff. The red clip is good for what it's good for, but it ain't good for much IMO.

MNBoxster 01-17-2006 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMarley1
very well, I mean the sensor.

Is there a way to strengthen the "eye"?

I can lock my car, then wave my hand all around in the interior and the alarm will not go off.

Hi,

How are you locking the Car? If you use the Key or Transmitter, it takes 10 sec. for the Passenger Compartment Montioring to activate (IR Sensor) - you'll see the Dash indicator and the Central Locking Switch LED flask 1/sec. for 10 sec. The Dash Indicator will then flash 1/2sec.

If you lock the Car using the Central Locking Switch on the Dash, the Passenger Compartment Monitoring Function (IR Sensor) is disabled.

I regularly lock the Car, Top Down, w/ Red Clip, Windows UP. You have to have the arms of a Gorilla (not that they're not out there) to reach inside. My IR Sensor is pretty sensitive. I was at an outdoor Cafe' and watched a Bee fly into the Car and it set off the Alarm in under 2 sec. Hope this helps...

eslai 01-18-2006 12:12 PM

I forget, did anyone determine if these work on the 987? I think someone said they did.