Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #1

Convertible top not working

My convertible top is not working.
Things i've checked
  • The two fuses D3 and B6 are there anymore perhaps one for just the convertibletopengine??
  • Parking light switch is OK.
  • Switch in the roof is OK.
  • The button itself is OK.
  • I've tried changing the controlunit to a new one so that should be OK.

The switch on the left by the seatbealt om not sure its working correct but it should. what is the symptom if its broken, is still giving me either top is up or down ?

I've tried measure power on the convertibletop engine itself.
And here is the wierd part im not getting any electricity to the converitble top engine when i push the button, however im not sure im doing it right?
Is it possible to just measure the black and green cable? there are 5 cables comming in 2 for in and outgoing on the microswitch ontop of the engine.
The last one i don't know what thats for?

So the last thing now to check would be the cables from the control unit to the convertible top engine ??

Am i missing something here?

kennths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #2

You might want to pull the motor out and directly apply a 12V source to rule out the motor. I would then check the e brake switch next as it has to be engaged and working to have power to the motor.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus69 View Post
You might want to pull the motor out and directly apply a 12V source to rule out the motor. I would then check the e brake switch next as it has to be engaged and working to have power to the motor.
I've been thinking of that but Im afraide im might brake it. And im not sure how its working i think is turning the pools depending of with direction up/down it should go.

the e brake switch wich one is that?
Old 07-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #4

Welcome to the club! I started a recent thread on my problems, and it ended up with a lot of good info in it. You might check there. I'm in manual top mode and mostly loving it. It's one less thing to worry about breaking. Just rattles a bit.
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #5

There is a switch attached to the emergency brake mechanism that only allows the top to go up or down when the emergency brake is set. It is not that difficult to remove the drive motor to confirm whether or not it is working. Three nuts hold the motor bracket and two clips hold the drive cables. One on each side and the wiring harness.
If you are sure it is not the motor the e brake switch would be easy enough to test next. I am assuming from your post that the motor is not turning at all.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #6

When a measure PIN 18 (Speedometer) with ignition on I have 12v ?? i've saw a thread somewhere that i shoulden't have any voltage at all when speed is under 5mph is that correct?

Tags
boxster 986 , convertible , convertible top , electric