Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #1

Helmet question for track driving

If helmets are rated SA2005, are there any safety differences between the various brands? In other words, if a GForce helmet is rated SA2005 and a Simpson helmet is rated SA2005, then are they equal in safety effectiveness. I'm in the market for a helmet for track driving and just wondering what the difference in pricing entails for these various helmets. Yes, I know that safety is one item not to skimp on, but if they are just as safe and the only differences are cosmetic, or brand names, I'm going with the cheaper ones. Thanks for your help,

Mike

thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #2

While there are inherent differences between helmets the large swing in prices is primarilly due to weight (advanced materials) and features (more luxurious interiors, vents, scoops, etc.)

I would say that you should be just as safe in a Gforce as a Simpson.

Band for the buck I like PyroTect or the Bell M2. Both are under $300 in full face and are relatively light and provide decent ventilation.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #3

Hi,

The rating is the same and the safety provided is similar, but not exactly the same. As mjw930 says, the differences in Price are due to Materials, but also how much Marketing a Particluar Company does. You pay for the Marketing in the MSRP of the helmet.

Personally, I have tried both Helmets you're looking at and didn't like either one, they seemed cheaply made.

I currently use both the Bell Sport 3 for AutoX and the Bell Vortex Ultra for SCCA Track events in my Formula Vee because it features better ventilation.

Don't buy a cheap Helmet. Even though it may possess the same rating, it will not hold up to longterm use. The Liner will tear or Foam will shift. Buy a reasonably priced one $300 for the Sport 3, $599 for the Vortex Ultra. These will give much longer service than others you have mentioned. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:22 AM   #4

I would say ask around for opinions - there are some deals out there. For karting, only a Snell M-rating is required and I have to say that my $100 HJC has held up wonderfully - at least as well as my friend's Shoei. Having said that I have heard that the G-Force helmets aren't that nice. I've got a pair of their driving shoes Ilike a lot though.

Now that I know I'll be in karting for the long term I will probably move to a better SA-certified helmet after this coming season.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:52 AM   #5

Check out Bill Simpson's new company. They have some very nice looking helmets, shoes and suits.

http://www.impactraceproducts.com/default.wws

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
Old 01-09-2006, 10:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930
Check out Bill Simpson's new company. They have some very nice looking helmets, shoes and suits.

http://www.impactraceproducts.com/default.wws
I almost bought my shoes from Impact, but the G-Force was less expensive and looked nicer. We'll see how they hold up - I've only used them twice so far.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:11 AM   #7

Hi,

Just an observation derived from some 25+ years experience Tracking my Cars:

A Driver's Skill Level is usually inversely proportional to the Style of their Track Ensemble!

I've seen all type of Wannabees- Doctors and Lawyers with more $$$ than Skill in their F Cars and Hyper P Cars.

They can't drive for ********************, but do look all that in their Armani attire - color-matched Helmet, Gloves, Shoes, Fire Suit with contrasting Balaclava, while it's usually the Guy who looks like he got his Track Clothes from the Paddock Lost and Found who owns the Track.

You don't want to LOOK that good, until you ARE that good!...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-09-2006 at 01:18 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster

You don't want to LOOK that good, until you ARE that good!...

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
Old 01-09-2006, 04:54 PM   #9

Thanks for the opinions, I think I am going to go to a Motorsports store and try several on and see what works for me. I'm more into function than appearance. Take care,

Mike
thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:09 AM   #10

when you put the helmet on have someone try to lift the helmet off your head by holding it from the sides and pulling up. Your neck should stretch as he pulls up on the hard hat. Thats a sign of a good fit.
No neck stretching probably means the helmet is too big or loose. In an impact it could slide off.
Different brands fit different heads in different ways. And the sizes are all different.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #11

Yep, make sure it's snug - if it feels just a little too tight, then it's just right.