Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #1

Angry Canvas Top Break In

I was parked downtown last weekend and some idiot broke into my car by separating the back plastic window from the canvas top. Of course the motion sensor activated the alarm, and he stopped half way through.

I wanted to get a new top anyways, because mine was faded a bit, so It's not all that bad... But I don't know which top to get, OEM or aftermarket, which aftermarket brands are good, and weather to attempt the work myself or have a shop do it. So if anyone has any info on what tops are good/bad etc.. I will appreciate anything. And if anyone has installed their own top, can you let me know if it's worth it, and whether you would do it again? I can handle run of the mill car problems, like radiator replacements, bolt on parts, etc... So the actual work doesn't scare me, it's just a matter of how much precision and expertise is needed to do this kind of work.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:00 AM   #2

I recommend the GAHH glass top replacement for your car. It's what I'm going to put on my 1997 when I save up enough.

Also, if you can get some instructions, I am happy to help you put the thing on your car. We can scratch our heads together and learn as we go. I hear it's just time consuming, not all that difficult. BTW, I live in Houston.

PM me if you're interested in my help. I'd like to help someone put one on and learn.

BTW, I have an excellent mechanic who works out of his home garage nights and weekends and he'll put it on for you for about $400, which is what he quoted me. PM me if you want his name and number. He does everything for me... transmission swap, struts, brakes, has a PST tool, you name it, he does it at half the price of the dealership where he works during the day.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #3

The GAHH tops are like 1200 bucks! Yikes!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:55 PM   #4

check ebay man. Also try cabrioworld out of New Jersey.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:40 PM   #5

BTW, I have an excellent mechanic who works out of his home garage nights and weekends and he'll put it on for you for about $400, which is what he quoted me. PM me if you want his name and number. He does everything for me... transmission swap, struts, brakes, has a PST tool, you name it, he does it at half the price of the dealership where he works during the day.[/QUOTE]

I'm also interested on your mechanic give a shout when yuou get a chance by PM. thanks in advance.
boxtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #6

Hello every body, unlike the 1st post I'm planing on buying a artic silver hard top for a Boxster 2002 (base) most of what I found so far is out of state, (Michigan, Fllorida) and most people are reluctant to shipping headaches, so besides the high price of the dealer, and this forum classifieds, does anyboy has a good idea where to look.
Im in Houston-Galveston area.
I would drive up to 200 to 300 miles if need to.
Thanks in advance, excellent forum, people seems real nice.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:22 AM   #7

Ive been looking around for a cheap hardtop within a few hundred miles of Houston also... but havn't found anything even close to texas (tried ebay, yahoo classifieds, etc...). I would wait longer until i could find one close by, but I have a gaping hole in my top and need something asap... Looks like Im just going to go with a cheapie soft top off ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-BOXSTER-97-02-BLACK-TOP-convertible-w-window_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33652QQitemZ8004 840350QQtcZphoto) install it next week myself, and save up for a hardtop later.
RandallNeighbour, your welcome to come over when I install next week, just dont laugh when it ends up on the car backwards .
I might take some pictures of the process and post them for others on this forum who want to get a realistic idea of what is involved. And if I absolutely fail, I will just bring it to someone with more experience. Im e-mailing some people who can get me instructions so I wont be flying blind.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:46 AM   #8

Hi, I like to you if also could witness the install of your soft top. Providing no last minute comitments.
Thanks
Old 01-11-2006, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtex
Hi, I like to you if also could witness the install of your soft top. Providing no last minute comitments.
Thanks
It will probably be boring, but anyone is welcome to stop by and watch me screw up the installation. Just PM for directions. Im going to be installing on the 21'st.

Last edited by ephidaboost; 01-11-2006 at 12:30 PM.
ephidaboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #10

FYI: I just had by top replaced at the dealer to the tune of $4100 (insurance paid). Maybe that will make the GAHH top sound better.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephidaboost
It will probably be boring, but ...
I guess that depends on when we start drinking beer and making fun of your top installation skills, right?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I guess that depends on when we start drinking beer and making fun of your top installation skills, right?
Right... that is, of course, if you bring some beer
Old 01-12-2006, 12:25 PM   #13

Hey guys if your planning on a DIY installation of the top why not have one of the "observers" document the procedure w/ a dig. camera? I'd would be willing to pay a reasonable amount of money for a photocopied version of the install. I feel very confident that I could do the install myself, but like to know the ins-and-outs before starting. Also it seems w/ things such as this that you always end up needing extra fasteners, clips, and who knows what else. It would be nice to have a list of things that need to be replaced before working on this. Anyways I wish I were closer to the Houston area. I would love to spend some time w/ some guys that arent afraid to get there hands dirty to save a few $$$. Ya'll have fun and keep us posted on the effort.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #14

I just want the photos of the guys drinking beer laughing at the guy doing the install. Will pay big $$$ for those.

:dance:

On the serious side, good luck with the install.

AtlantaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote