Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2005, 06:59 AM   #1

Unhappy Frozen Windows Fix?

Now that the temperatures are consistently below freezing, on several occasions I've opened my door on a 2006 987... only to hear a pop as the window doesn't automaticly retract the 1/2". It appears to be frozen solid to the bottom window door seal. The motor stops trying after about 15 seconds, but that can't be good. Worse yet, you can't close the door all the way as part of the window stays outside the upper sill.

This occurs both on the passenger and on the driver's side. After running the heater for 10 minutes or so, and working the seal, the windows work out.

My obvious fix would be... a heated garage! No luck there, it is parked outside. I found if I cover it, I just don't drive it.

Any ideas on how to prevent the window from freezing?

Last edited by skydevil06; 12-30-2005 at 10:11 AM.
skydevil06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:53 AM   #2

Try lubricating the seal- bottom part where the door and window meet, with some type of silicone lubricant. Yours has dried out and when it gets cold or moist it freezes up and won't move.
Kevlar986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:22 PM   #3

Zymol makes a product for maintaining door and window, etc. seals, curiously enough named "zymöl Seal" . About $20 for more than you'll ever need. Watch out, this stuff can leak out of the bottle and gets around quickly. Found out the hard way.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:15 PM   #4

Believe it or not, Lemon scented "PAM" (yes, the cooking spray) works great on seals in the winter and it smells good too It also helps the seals from cracking.

tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote