Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Angry Interior IR Sensor cover missing

I noticed this going on about 3 weeks ago, and just remembered to mention it on here. What I'm talking about are the two IR sensors that are a part of the alarm system that sit up near the roof latch and rearview mirror. They have those dark plastic covers over them, one of which went missing, seemingly out of nowhere.

The one that is still in place is held in rather loosely by whatever little plastic arms it has to do the job, so I'm concerned that it too may take off one day, especially on a day of top-down driving. Has this happened to anyone before? Do they just need to be replaced by newer pieces? Does it affect the functionality of the system at all if the cover is not there?

I have no idea when it could have fallen off but it would have had to have been in the last month or so when I started driving the car around again regularly. I figure it has to be somewhere inside the car still, so I'm going to check under the seats and see if it may have slid under one of them or something like that, otherwise I have no idea where it could have gone and will have to simply consider it lost.

Does anyone have a part number for these buggers? I'm hoping they're not one of the items that still carries the Porsche Tax.

Thanks!

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #2

I didn't have them when my car was bought. It's a very cheap (under $10) part.

And yes, they still work without the covers
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

PN: 996 618 212 02

Cost: $5.25ea

Available at Pelican Parts: http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/996-618-212-02-OEM.htm?Interior%20Sensor%20Trim%20Cover%2C%20on%2 0Dome%20Light%20%28%32%20per%20car%2C%20sold%20ind ividually%29%2C%20Boxster%2FBoxster%20S%20%20
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-09-2013 at 11:11 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
sweet! Thanks, thstone and Crono. I tried looking for these on Pelican before, but I must have either been looking in the wrong spot or searching bad terms or something. I could not find them.

Any comments as far as the loose fit of the current ones? Are they just that way? I'd hope the new ones won't wiggle around and feel like they're ready to fall out if you breathe on them the wrong way.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 05-09-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
sweet! Thanks, thstone and Crono. I tried looking for these on Pelican before, but I must have either been looking in the wrong spot or searching bad terms or something. I could not find them.

Any comments as far as the loose fit of the current ones? Are they just that way? I'd hope the new ones won't wiggle around and feel like they're ready to fall out if you breathe on them the wrong way.
Not sure what is typical but the set on my car were also fairly loose. I suppose that you could use some tape or something similar to tighten up the fit on the new set.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote