Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2005, 06:56 AM   #1

In the Snow - How does it drive

In just snowed here in VA and I was wondering if anyone out there ever drives their boxsters in the snow. How does it handle? I figure since it is rear wheel drive and the engine is almost sitting on the rear wheels that it hould do pretty well like a front wheel drive car. Share your stories in the snow. Thanks,

-Steve

jangobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:46 AM   #2

quick story.
last december it was raining, then the rain turned to slush and then it started snowing. Pulled into a gas station and got the undeer steer moment of my life!
the steering wheel was turned but that puppy wasn't going anywhere but straight! I had the e brake on and prayed I would miss this six inch curb. Well I hit it alright. Left front wheel complete over the curb and onto this litte waterfall oasis landscaping! I was sure the whole front end of the car was dented and the bumper was going to hanging off. Got out of the car NOTHING. Just some nasty curb rash on my wheel (easy fix). Took the car right over to my dealer for full inspection and wheel alignment. They said no problems not even the alighment.

Moral of the story: Keep your expensive car at home when the weather gets foul.
Even if you have snow tires, that idiot in the SUV might not and drive right into you! I think accident claims skyrocket during snowy street days.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:19 AM   #3
bmussatti

Jangobox, do you have PSM? That will help a little.

It is NOT ANYTHING LIKE FRONT WHEEL DRIVE!
Old 12-09-2005, 02:19 PM   #4

The MY2000s I have only has traction control (anti-slip). Coupled with all season tires I was easily able to navigate a 2" snowfall. A little slipping and sliding but nothing unreasonable. NOW...we just received 10 more inches and I would NEVER take it out in this. This is what the SUV is for. In a day...once the roads are cleared...I will take the Porsche out again without hesitation.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:42 PM   #5

Perfectlap can attest to the crappy snow we had here in NJ today. I decided to drive the Box to the office and let my fiance' take my Envoy..
It wasnt that bad... I have psm mind you and if you go slowly you will be ok. Now this takes experience.. my last few cars had DSC, BMW's "a little better" version of traction control. I am used to sliding around in bad weather. The places you run into problems would be going up any incline let alone any idiot in an suv wanting to do 90mph. Laws of physics come into play and the ass end wants to come around regardless of traction control.
I rate the Box a 4.5 in the snow... 2 to 3 inches or less... It is certain that this car will
never see more snow than that.
Moral to the story, leave the car in the garage and get a ride to work or get another car!

Best of luck!
Joe
01S
triple black and salty today!

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote