Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 07:52 PM   #1

Wiring Harness for radio, installation question

I've bought the wiring harness for an alpine stereo upgrade, it's the Best BHA1784 wiring kit, my question is for those who have done this is the back of the radio comes with 2 sets of wires, a yellow head and a black head, according to the wiring harness, the black head plugs directly to the harness but there is not room in the wiring harness for the yellow head (which are the speakers), Did the store give me the wrong wiring harness or do i have to run new speaker wires from the new alpine head unit to the new alpine amp?

Thanks for the help, here's a pic of the wiring harness minus the brown middle part. Only the yellow and the black ends are present on my factory radio.

the bottom pic is the actual wiring harness (BEST BHA 1784), notice how there is no room for the yellow head from the factory radio.

Do I need to manually run new speaker wires from my new alpine head unit to the new amp or do i need to call the store back and see if this is the correct wiring harness.

Thanks

Last edited by hdpt73; 11-14-2005 at 07:59 PM.
hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:58 PM   #2

Sorry, here is the wiring harness that came from the store
Old 11-14-2005, 11:39 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Do you have a factory amp? If so that is were you need to get to the speaker wires, and oh you cant use the factory amp with an aftermarket radio....it becomes a pain in the butt...
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:00 AM   #4

I'm not using the factory amp, i bought an Alpine 4 channel amp. So it's a brand new Deck w/amp also. I'll document and post pics as i do the install to give future boxter owners a reference to upgrading their stereos. So will I need to return the wiring harness and get another one in order to have an adapter for the yellow plug? Or did the store send me the correct one and i have to run new wires to the new amp?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:21 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Well they way i did it was use 3 sets of RCA cables from the deck to the new amp and i tapped into the speaker wires on the harness of the old amp added extensions and ran it to the bottom of the trunk to my new amp...Its pretty simple. That other harness from the stock deck that doesnt plug into anything just leave it there and push it all the way to the back.
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:51 AM   #6

Update on Stereo Install

I finally finished my install,

here's the list
Boston Acoustics all the way around (doors, dash and tweeters)
Alpine cda 9855 cd/mp3 player
Alpine amp to push the bostons
Rockford fosgate to push the 8" Kicker subwoofer (it hits hard)

i bought the kenwood ksc-sw1 speaker due to it's size and now it's sitting in my garage shelf. bass is a joke with that thing in the boxster with all the wind and road noise. i'm very happy with the kicker.

here's the pics (thanks TriGem on the wiring harness tip)
Old 12-07-2005, 05:52 AM   #7

here's both amps, the crossovers in the trunk
Old 12-07-2005, 05:54 AM   #8

rear amp closeup
Old 12-07-2005, 05:56 AM   #9

subwoofer, i lost 3.5 inches of footwell due to this but if i have a tall person sitting, then i can disconnect it easily and put it in the trunk
Old 12-07-2005, 06:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpt73
subwoofer, i lost 3.5 inches of footwell due to this but if i have a tall person sitting, then i can disconnect it easily and put it in the trunk
Nice set up!

Is it possible to put the subwoofer to the rear trunk or would it lessen the punch?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
you cant use the factory amp with an aftermarket radio
I have an Alpine head unit wired directly to my factory amp. Since I didn't change out the speakers, I saw no reason to upgrade the amp right now. So it can be done.

Now HOW it's done is not my cup of tea... a local stereo shop that does a lot of afermarket installs in Carreras did my install for me. Best $99 I ever spent.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:27 AM   #12

i moved that subwoofer everywhere i could to find the best bass response. subwoofer in the rear trunk would only vibrate your trunk, there's alot of engine space between the rear trunk and the cabin.

1)above the engine compartment (folding top area) this sounds muffled and not clean. also bass is right behind your head. (muffled bass = headaches)

2) behind the seats (this sounds best with sub facing wall instead of seat)

3) console delete (this also sounds good with sub facing the floor). i plan on doing a console delete and building a custom box. this way passenger loses no legroom.

i really like the music now. I spend 10 hours a weekend in my car (from austin to houston and back and running around town), and not counting my daily austin commutes. it's clear when the top is down and gives solid bass.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:56 AM   #13

hdpt73:

Do you live in austin?

I'd like to put together a boxster run for houston and austin area boxster owners. Wanna help plan it?
Old 12-07-2005, 08:08 AM   #14

Sure let me know what you plan on doing. My wife lives in Baytown so i drive back and forth quite a bit. My free time is usually on weekends. Austin's got a bunch of cool driving routes such as Lime Creek Road. Bay_Tran@yahoo.com
Old 12-07-2005, 07:29 PM   #15

Randall, my wife just moved from Austin while I was in Korea. How about stretching that run out to El Paso for the Road runner race in April?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:30 AM   #16

Um, have you looked on a map, dude?

I drove from Houston to El Paso this summer in the boxster and swore I'd never do it again. 14 hours of nothing to do or look at in a small, cramped car. No thanks!