Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

986 Wrecked, Replacement Thoughts...

I've thought about where to go from here for about a week and here are my thoughts;
  1. Having a dual-purpose street car and track car (BSX) is a compromise for both. Yes, it can be done and it works, but neither was optimal.
  2. I'm near the top in my current track class and feel that I'm a faster driver than the speeds/times that my wrecked car was able to turn. Yes, I could probably squeeze out a sec or so more, but I think that I'm ready for the next level and need "a bit more car" to get there.
  3. I have been looking for a way to move up to true wheel-to-wheel racing.
  4. My wife didn't like driving the BSX on the street. Its too much "track" for her and not enough "GT" luxury.
Therefore, this is where I'm heading at the moment;
  1. Buy a Boxster roller with a blown engine. Move the engine/trans and all of the BSX parts from my wrecked car (engine, trans, suspension, seats, harnesses, etc) to the roller and then have it built out into a Spec racer (add roll cage, hardtop, and a few other bits and I'm there).
  2. I've always wanted to own a 911. I'm thinking a 996 would be perfect for the street (and my wife). And since I already know a lot about the Boxster, that knowledge will almost all transfer over to maintaining/repairing a 996.
Of course, I am still thinking this through and I don't have anything firm from the insurance company yet on my wrecked car, so nothing is set in stone.

Let me know your thoughts? I am off to drive a couple of 996's this morning...

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 04-07-2013 at 06:27 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #2

Get a 996 GT3
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
recycledsixtie

Garage
I think your plan is sound but I think you will miss the Boxster on the street. A water pumper 911 feels heavy for me compared to a Boxster. Take your time deciding!
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
Porscheectomy

Buying a 996 for the street will only make you wish you had a Boxster. Why not take the opportunity to try some other great sports car. Porsche isn't the last name in sports cars...
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #5

My 2 Cents................If you are planning to stick with nothing other than P-Cars, your plan is a good one. The 996's are a bargain, but it's much more a GT car and it will likely continue to lose value but they are already greatly depreciated.

Blue is right, ever considered a C5 ZO6?
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
1. Boxster Spec Race car
2. 996 GT3
3. 2009 Cay S

All good choices with a significant reduction in lap times.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #7

Hi guys, wouldn't you think an older cayman would be a good compromise?
bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #8

if the insurance company writes-off your car they then own the car, no? so, you would have to buy it back from them. probably, by the time you buy it off them and get a roller to drop all your go-fast parts into, you've spent all your insurance money and lost the season.

whatever you decide to do for a dedicated track car, it will use-up all of your insurance $. I don't think there is any way to make a street car and a track car out of your insurance money.

so, how about other street/track compromises that get you more performance. I *think* blue was alluding to an elise, as he is a recent convert and just hangs out here because Porsche owners are better company than lotus owners. GT3 or corvette are also good compromises. any way you slice it you are more money into the game, however.

you could build a street/track GT boxster that you could also door to door race. I think a safety design cage is pca approved, and the front hoops and door bars are removable for street driving. then you just need hood pins and elec disconnect. in gt it's a weight/displacement game so you'll always have a class. reducing weight and increasing displacement can happen as the car evolves. certainly get you to the bottom of the pile with lots of room to grow your driving and your car.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
if the insurance company writes-off your car they then own the car, no? so, you would have to buy it back from them. probably, by the time you buy it off them and get a roller to drop all your go-fast parts into, you've spent all your insurance money and lost the season.

whatever you decide to do for a dedicated track car, it will use-up all of your insurance $. I don't think there is any way to make a street car and a track car out of your insurance money.

so, how about other street/track compromises that get you more performance. I *think* blue was alluding to an elise, as he is a recent convert and just hangs out here because Porsche owners are better company than lotus owners. GT3 or corvette are also good compromises. any way you slice it you are more money into the game, however.

you could build a street/track GT boxster that you could also door to door race. I think a safety design cage is pca approved, and the front hoops and door bars are removable for street driving. then you just need hood pins and elec disconnect. in gt it's a weight/displacement game so you'll always have a class. reducing weight and increasing displacement can happen as the car evolves. certainly get you to the bottom of the pile with lots of room to grow your driving and your car.
. Actually, for a street GT, there have been some great cars that would be better suited than the Elise. I wouldn't recommend it for any kind of couples touring activities, it's too raw for that.

On the cheap, a 90-96 300ZX is a great car for the money and the turbo cars are reasonably fast, even by modern standards. The C5 Corvette, especially the Z06 is a bargain. I also LOVE the 944 and the 968. They are soooo much fun. Older Rx-7 are fantastic driver's cars but not as comfy as the Z.

If you're looking to spend some more money, Jag and Aston Martin made some really great GTs that are getting more reasonably priced on the used market. The NSX is another option, of course.

All give a different experience than a modern Porsche.

Last edited by blue2000s; 04-07-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
1. Boxster Spec Race car
2. 996 GT3
3. 2009 Cay S

All good choices with a significant reduction in lap times.
+1 (well actually +3) on that
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
I don't think there is any way to make a street car and a track car out of your insurance money.
Agree. I will have to put some more money into all of this and I am ok with that.

Quote:
...so, how about other street/track compromises that get you more performance.
This is where I am thinking that maybe its time to avoid the compromise of a combined street/track car by going full track with a Spec Boxster and then finding something a little more civilized for the street. Yes, I'll have to add some money to the insurance payout to make all of this happen, but I'll end up with each car better suited to its intended use.
1979 911 SC
Old 04-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
Buying a 996 for the street will only make you wish you had a Boxster. Why not take the opportunity to try some other great sports car. Porsche isn't the last name in sports cars...
I thought hard on this one and I don't feel the pull of many other sports cars as strongly as a 911. To be honest, I have been looking at some of the air cooled 911's but the 996's are so cheap, they are hard to ignore.

I test drove a 1999 996 C2 with 98,000 miles this morning and the owner was asking $14,000. $14,000! The 996's are so cheap right now they are hard to pass up.
1979 911 SC
Old 04-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I thought hard on this one and I don't feel the pull of many other sports cars as strongly as a 911. To be honest, I have been looking at some of the air cooled 911's but the 996's are so cheap, they are hard to ignore.

I test drove a 1999 996 C2 with 98,000 miles this morning and the owner was asking $14,000. $14,000! The 996's are so cheap right now they are hard to pass up.
I'd probably go that route also, maybe a little newer.
For a dedicated race car I'd love to go Factory Five Race Spec series.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/factory-five-racing-spec-racer-specialty-file
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #14

Quote:

Air cooled 911's would be quite pricey compared to the 996's, and for a daily driver they are quite cozy (except for having a rear seat, my 993 is noticeably smaller inside than my 986 was) and more spartan regarding comfort.

The upside of an air cooled car would be value (mine is worth ~$5k more than I paid for it fall of '11), but to use it as a DD and run up the miles would negate that somewhat.

A couple of pics for perspective on air cooled cars proportions:

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
Porscheectomy

Quote:

Every time I drive or ride in a 996 I think "this is a great car, almost as much fun as the 986".

Last edited by blue2000s; 04-07-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #16
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
987 Cayman 'S' with high mileage. Since you know how to wrench Porsches this would be a breeze for you.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #17

Boxster Spec. You are probably over due in moving up to the next level if you feel racing and not just DE cups, time trials, cone dodging, etc is the fastest way for you to get to the top of your skill set.
And there is no more cost effective way of racing a Porsche. With the absurd prices for the 991, GT3 and variants many people will be looking at Bosxter racing and 996 Cup Cars as better value options for Sunday recreation.

For the street I would go a cars and coffee route with an antique Porsche or 964/993. Personally I think the 964 feels tighter not as mushy. The 993 is a bit more street oriented. Either way These cars hold value, are straightforward project cars for people with good wrench skill and if done well a restored racy'ish/RS 911 will be a piece of cake to sell without bleeding value like all the 996/997/991. And since you live in LA I would add one of those 356 with the fat Hoosiers to the list.

For me since I'm no Carrera softee the lack of mid engine options have me thinking about other brands and possibly skipping midengine altogether. The new Corvette with a "get your taxes back" sort of GM financing sounds compelling. As does their far friendlier attitude for track use. A lot about Porsche has left me a bit less enthusiastic about rushing into another one.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-08-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
Certified Boxster Addict

Thanks for all of the input. I read and thought about each one, much appreciated.

My insurance company called today and said that the car is a total loss. Now, all we have to do is agree on a value. Easier said than done.
1979 911 SC
Old 04-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #19

Sorry to hear about your loss...that's a heart breaker

If you happen to be going Boxster track car shopping keep an eye for me. I will have it shipped up

Can't afford a BSR though....

Last edited by jaykay; 04-09-2013 at 11:04 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #20

I think the Spec Boxster/996 street car would be a good choice. The 996's are relatively inexpensive, it will make the wifey happy, and you already have the maintenance/repair knowledge/tools to take care of it. You will also be able to set up the track only Boxster to exceed your current driving skills, giving you a car you can improve into.

Taipanic is offline   Reply With Quote