Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #1

Installing a 997 part on my 2.7L 986 Boxster

So some people have installed the 997 Throttlebody and plenum on their 986's.
Pedro's garage sells a kit for these to be installed on the 2.7L and 3.2L.

My question is:

Will the car run and work if I install it without the ECU tune?

I understand that the ECU will need to be adjusted because there will be more air than fuel with the larger throttle body and plenum. But being that it is a 997 part that supposedly only fits on 2005+ Boxsters and 06+ Caymans and 05+ 911's, can the stock 986 ECU still send signals to the newer generation throttle body to open or close the throttle? I believe it is drive by wire on 2000+ Boxsters.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #2

Don't get me wrong. I do plan to tune it when I install it. But would I be able to drive to the shop to get it tuned with the TB and plenum already installed?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #3

Garage
I apologize if I'm incorrect, but I have a 2002 S and recently did the IPD plenum with the larger throttle body upgrade. If I'm not mistaken, I believe their site said that an ECU tune wasn't necessary because it will auto-adjust for the increase in air. I'm assuming that the Pedro mod would work the same way and wouldn't require an ECU tune.

I'm still on the fence about doing one and have gone back & forth. I also have upgraded my exhaust and just wanted to take full potential of the changes I've made... Was thinking Softronics due to it coming with the Durametric since I was planning on buying that anyway. Just not sure if it makes any real HP gains etc... Or just save $ and just get the Durametric? Just undecided...
TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #4

Garage
Tuning the ECU in this case is like icing on the cake. By tweaking the air/fuel parameters it will maximize performance.