Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
pjq

Engine Rebuild Now What?

2004 3.2L 986
I took some time to consider all the good feed back in my previous post "Engine Rebuild" and realized I was possibly out of my league for this task.
Because of some of the comments and guidance that was given I spoke to a local race car driver and he recommended an engine rebuilder 2 hr drive away. After that two other people I know agreed with the choice of rebuilder. So I swollowed my pride and drove the stripped down engine there today.
The Findings;
We already knew the IMS bearing race was ugly, additionally one chain guide is broke (other piece close at hand), #4 cylinder had one broken ring and the forward most crank bearing turned!
All other bearings visually in great shape remainder of engine visually looks good.
Tomorrow parts are to be washed, assembelded to tourque and then measured.
If the main crank bearing needs to be turned are there oversize bearings (0.010 or 0.25mm) available? What other options are there?
What about the IMS bearing race, can the outer chain sprocket assembly with race be removed and replaced with new?

Last edited by pjq; 03-26-2013 at 04:47 PM.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
Wrong post

Last edited by Meir; 03-27-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
1999 base

Garage
Wrong post 2

Sorry.

Last edited by Meir; 03-27-2013 at 03:35 AM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:31 AM   #4

Garage
The crankshaft journal can not be repaired, that I know of. The journals are not hardened. They are steel that has been coated at all bearing surfaces. If the coating is compromised the machine shop we use always tells us it needs a new crankshaft. Honestly, if you could grind the journal down and coat it, I have never seen oversized bearings for these engines.

Did the ring score the cylinders? Maybe if all your parts get sent to LNE they could do some magic with the crank if its damaged, but thats information I don't have.

Skoot
Skootnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:17 AM   #5
pjq

with just the visual inspection, the pistons and cylinders look good. The only problems were what was peviously stated. It appears to be very specific.
I should know more today from the engine rebuild shop today after they've done some testing.

pjq is offline   Reply With Quote