Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

taking 99 Boxter out of winter storage

I read the forum, lots of good information regarding taking my 99 Boxter out of winter storage. However, most info was about 6 speed standard tranny, and rolling it in 5th gear. Mine is a tiptronic, just got it last fall, and is my first Porsche. Since I cannot roll it in 5th gear, any suggestions on what to do before start up?

Appreciate all suggestions.

McDuff

McDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
I just pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the starter motor over for 10 seconds, 2-3 times leaving a couple of minutes in between for the starter to cool. Just to circulate the engine oil a bit before actually starting the car for the first time in 5 or so months.
Maybe start you Tip in Neutral; don't know for sure if this does anything, just throwing it out there.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #3

I make sure the tires have proper pressure, battery has a charge and I basically just start it up. It may turn over a second or two longer, but it should start. I let it idle till it reaches temp to boil off any water in the oil. I then drive it a bit and try the brakes to make sure they grab and clean off any rust ... usually mine are not rusty. I then drive to the nearest prefered gas station to fill up. I take it easy for about an hour and then go for a cruise. By then the car should be up to par and has learned your driving habits (I disconnect the battery over winter). The next day I drive it a little harder (closer to my normal habit) and relearn what the car can do. Mine is a Tip ...

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaak View Post
I make sure the tires have proper pressure, battery has a charge and I basically just start it up. It may turn over a second or two longer, but it should start. I let it idle till it reaches temp to boil off any water in the oil. I then drive it a bit and try the brakes to make sure they grab and clean off any rust ... usually mine are not rusty. I then drive to the nearest prefered gas station to fill up. I take it easy for about an hour and then go for a cruise. By then the car should be up to par and has learned your driving habits (I disconnect the battery over winter). The next day I drive it a little harder (closer to my normal habit) and relearn what the car can do. Mine is a Tip ...
Sounds reasonable. But I'm surprised by the comment about the gas station. I would think one of the last things you'd do prior to putting the car in storage is fill the tank.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Sounds reasonable. But I'm surprised by the comment about the gas station. I would think one of the last things you'd do prior to putting the car in storage is fill the tank.
No ... I leave maybe a 1/4 tank as it's in a heated storage garage. And, the gas tanks are plastic ...

Car runs better on fresh gas. Have been doing it this way for over 10 years ... first on my 86' 951 and now the Beepster with no issues.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #6

Thanks for the feedback, I will pull the fuse and try that, makes sense to me. This is a great way to stay out of trouble as a first time owner, appreciate eveyones comments.

McDuff
McDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaak View Post
No ... I leave maybe a 1/4 tank as it's in a heated storage garage. And, the gas tanks are plastic ...

Car runs better on fresh gas. Have been doing it this way for over 10 years ... first on my 86' 951 and now the Beepster with no issues.
Ooooo lucky!! I have to store mine in an unheated storage unit. Ugh.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Ooooo lucky!! I have to store mine in an unheated storage unit. Ugh.
Your tank is plastic, so there would be no rust issue. Having it topped off with fresh gas is better than running it with older gas for a while. I had my 951 stored one year in an unheated garage with no issues. Just topped the tank up at the nearest Shell using 91 octane which has NO ethanol in Canada ... Ethanol absorbs water which makes the car run poorly.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #9

Got it out of storage today. Connected the battery, turned the key and it cranked for 4 seconds before the engine started. Let it idle for about 5 minutes as I reduced the air pressure in the tires, packed the cover away and reset the radio code. Drove it out of the garage and parked it for 10 minutes (talked to the storage owner), fired it up again and drove it easy to the Shell station. Filled up and then drove to to my friends garage (Indy P-Car shop) to make sure the tire pressure was correct. Drove it home and attached the battery charger and brought it from 65% to 100%. Unloaded the cover and tools and then closed up the frunk when the battery was charged. Took it out for a hour cruise this evening to get reaquanted with the Beepster ... man did I miss it. Suposed to be +9C tomorrow so it will get washed ...

Old 03-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
Tricolour

Good to see you fired up for 'summer' Jaak.

I do like the seal grey.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #11

Talking

+11C today, +13C for Sat and +10 for Sunday.

Spring has sprung and the fun has begun ...

Old 03-30-2013, 05:02 AM   #12

Her's My 2 Cents

I fill the tank before storing to keep air out. No air, no condensation, no water in the gas. I add gas stabilizer.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #13
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman View Post
I fill the tank before storing to keep air out. No air, no condensation, no water in the gas. I add gas stabilizer.
+1

Worked for 23 years on my 1988 Mustang GT, although it was a Ford...

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote