986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   key and alarm help (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43744)

nicksboxster 03-22-2013 05:44 PM

key and alarm help

the main button that locks my doors and sets the alarm has worn out. i use the key to lock my doors which also sets the alarm, problem is that when i use the key to unlock the door and then open it the alarm goes off.... in a panic i was able to shut the alarm off by pure luck by pressing the mostly non functioning button on the key... is there a way to use the key manually to lock and unlock my drivers door without setting the alarm off everytime or do i need to spend the cash to have the key reworked by porsche?

2003S 03-22-2013 06:06 PM

You have a few options:

1) when you open the door with the key, put it in the ignition & turn it to the "accessory on" position -- that prevents the alarm from sounding

2) disconnect the alarm horn (separate from the main horn) - very easy task; 5 minutes & non-technical, so it stops bothering you

3) buy a new key, and transplant the key blade, "guts" & transponder pill into into it (can order the keys from several places & do it yourself)

4) have a dealership cut & code a new key for you (thats the pricey option)

-- not sure if (3) will work, depending on how your key is malfunctioning...

thom4782 03-22-2013 06:19 PM

Maybe / maybe not.

If the rubber like cover on the button is worn out and interfering with the key working properly, you can buy the cover part from Porsche and replace it on your key. It will cost about $35

If the key electronics are broken, you can buy a new key head from Suncoast for about $125. The cost to program the new key varies from $0 to $125 bucks depending on how nice the dealer wants to be. It takes 15 minutes to re-program a key.

Good luck

BTW: if the key is unlocking the door, but failing to keep the alarm from sounding, the problem may be in the central locking system and not the key. I've found with the locking system that symptoms can mislead as to the actual problem.

nicksboxster 03-22-2013 07:33 PM

ahhhh, ok cool...it seems to just be the rubber cover since i can get it to work if i happen to push it just the right way....may have to give that a shot since i do wish for the alarm horn to be active,,, thanks for the 411...if anyone else has some more solutions they're much appreciated... ~peace

Meir 03-22-2013 08:10 PM

Another option (and this is what I did), is to buy the remote button from mauser (20 cents if I remember correctly) and solder it to the board.
Get the plastic cover, and you have new remote.
Still have some buttons somewher, so I can save you the 20c :D

nicksboxster 03-23-2013 08:53 AM

thanks, meir