Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #1

Help with Hazards and Turn Signals

Hello All-

3 weeks ago I bought a '97 Boxster with only 60k miles. It's mechanically and cosmetically in great shape... I can't believe I finally own a Porsche!

I am quickly finding out about alot of the little things that go wrong, and this one has me stumped. My hazard lights and turn signals don't work. I replaced the relay and no luck. I've already made friends with the service manager at my local dealership and he said that, most of the time, it is the actual hazard switch (he said that everything runs through the swicth itself). So I ordered a switch from a parts re-seller and just installed it; again no luck.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Izman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Probably a dumb question, so I apologize in advance. Have you checked the fuses?
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #3

I did. I'm thinking the relay I bought off of ebay is the wrong part. It is an replacement Audi part that was sent... What do you think?
Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Well there are VW/Audi and Mercedes parts in the Boxster. The climate control box is a tweaked Audi unit, and I believe the headlight switch is from Mercedes, for example. Does the new relay you picked up match the old one in terms of size/pin location and function?
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #5

I had a problem with my left turn signal. It only worked intermittently and then finally not at all. Searched this forum and the web and tried this and that. Fuse, no. Relay, no, Hazard switch, no. I finally took the steering wheel off and low and behold the electrical connector between the stalk and the harness on the steering wheel has pulled out slightly, which only affected the left turn signal. If you try this, be careful. I believe you need to disconnect the battery to be on the safe side - don't want to set off your air bag. Good luck and congrats on your new ride. Like you, I still can't believe I'm driving a Porsche.

Edit. Just re-read the OP. In my case, the hazards worked, just not the left turn signal. So my solution probably won't be of any help. Sorry.

Last edited by Gforrest2; 03-17-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Gforrest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #6

Thanks for all the help. The relay I bought had the same pin configuration, but did not look like the same (it was round instead of square). I spent the extra money, got the OEM part and now all is good.

All that after buying and installing a new hazard switch... At least it works.

Thanks again