Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #1

Free wheeling pulley alternator removal

Need help to clarify which direction for removal of the alternator free wheeling pulley using the removal tool. I tried to remove per video but broke the tip of the 17 mm wrench. Two part removal tool. Long shaft connects to center of alternator via 1/2 inch ratchet. For removal clock wise or counter. Same for 17 mm wrench, clock wise or counter for removal. I need to verify before I damage the removal tool.

ba999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #2

are you sure you have a free-wheeling pulley?

quick writeup on renntech:
alternator decoupler replacement for a 986 (02) - RennTech.org Forums
Old 01-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #3

Some call it free-wheeling or decoupler pulley. It is for a 2000 Boxster which is the first year they used on 5 speeds from what I am reading. Thanks for he clarification and I was using the right directions and it still broke one tip of my wrench....made in Taiwan...I shot it with a little WD-40 and will try again today
Old 01-15-2012, 03:40 AM   #4
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I replaced mine a couple of years ago and remember it taking a lot of force to loosen the pulley. It was tricky holding the (relatively small) wrench in one direction while applying a lot of force with a larger breaker bar in the other direction. I was able to do it, so it is definitely possible.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

ddb

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/21779-clicking-noise-solved-alternator-pulley.html
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb View Post
I replaced mine a couple of years ago and remember it taking a lot of force to loosen the pulley. It was tricky holding the (relatively small) wrench in one direction while applying a lot of force with a larger breaker bar in the other direction. I was able to do it, so it is definitely possible.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

ddb

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/21779-clicking-noise-solved-alternator-pulley.html
I just re-tried and it started to move a little and no more. I need to re-confirm as the pictures show the 1/ 2" outer ratchet moving counter clock wise while the 17 mm wrench moving clockwise to unloosen it?
Old 01-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba999 View Post
I need to re-confirm as the pictures show the 1/ 2" outer ratchet moving counter clock wise while the 17 mm wrench moving clockwise to unloosen it?
ba999,

Sorry, but I don't remember for sure about the direction for loosening the pulley. My guess is it needs to turn counter clockwise to loosen it. It is a little confusing, but I believe the 1/2" outer needs to turn clockwise and the 17mm wrench needs to turn counter clockwise to loosen the pulley. Or the opposite of what you state above.

Another thing that may help is to use the boxed end of the 17mm wrench. I'm not sure which tool you have, but I removed a clip that can be seen in my picture, that allowed the 31 spline bit to be removed. I could then slide the boxed end of the wrench on to the bit before sliding it back on and reinstalling the clip. This way you can use a lot of force without the wrench slipping.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #7

Just did mine. When holding the spline tool, turn the inner tool CLOCKWISE to remove the pulley.

Wret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator , free wheeling , pulley , removal