Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
midlifechrisis

Question Boxster key remote - can they be re-programed?

I purchased my 2000S a year ago. It came with 2 remote keys, one worked and one(remote part) did not. i recently replaced the battery in both keys, but the non-functioning key still does not work. I noticed one other thing: the good key light flashes fast when the remote button is pressed, whereas the non functioning key light flashes slowly.

is the remote broken? or does it require a re-program and if so, does anyone know of the proceedure to do this?

Thanks for the help-

Phil

Drphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #2

Hi Phil,

I found this, it mentions the 911 but the front bit of the Boxster is basically a 911 so it should work, lol.

Instructions
Things you need

Porsche key fob
Ignition key

1 Enter the Porsche by the driver's seat and be sure everything is closed. This includes all doors, boot lids and bonnet.
2 Insert the key into the ignition and turn it clockwise until you start the Porsche engine.
3 Turn the 911 engine off and remove the key from ignition. Wait 90 seconds before continuing to the next step.
4 Turn the ignition to the "On" position and wait 15 seconds. This position is as far as you can turn the key without starting the engine. The immobilisation light located in the 911 dashboard clock will go out.
5 Turn the ignition off again then turn it back on. After 15 seconds, the immobilisation light will begin to blink.
6 Enter the four digit security code using the ignition. For instance, if the first digit in the code is three you would turn the ignition from on to off, then back on. This would equal 1 digit, so you would repeat this step two more times if the first digit is "3." Afterwards, wait for the immobilisation light to flash then repeat this step for the next digit. After the fourth and last digit is entered, the light will flash again to signal you are in programming mode.
7 Press a button on the key fob and hold it until the LED light blinks. This will indicate it has been programmed.

Sounds strange - let us know if it worksas no idea what model 911 they are on about. If not then the dealer will have to reprogramme it for you

Last edited by Nimbus117; 03-06-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Nimbus117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
2000 Arena Red Base

4 digit security code? Where do I find this, as never was given one.
Bengalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #4

Wow. Are you supposed to do that while simultaneously hopping up and down on one leg, reciting Proust, and swinging a dead cat over your head in a graveyard at midnight?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
midlifechrisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Wow. Are you supposed to do that while simultaneously hopping up and down on one leg, reciting Proust, and swinging a dead cat over your head in a graveyard at midnight?

funny- - - i am assuming somehow its not transmitting the correct frequency. i will give it a try.

Last edited by Drphil; 03-06-2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: xyz
Old 03-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
midlifechrisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalfan View Post
4 digit security code? Where do I find this, as never was given one.
your 4 digit code should be on a card in your owner's manual -
this is the same code i am assuming that you enter in your radio if the security lock has been triggered by disconnection of the battery.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #7

Sounds like a load of rubbish when I found it from google, doesn't appear anywhere else so probably a hoax.

The sensible approach will be a visit to the dealer to get the key re-coded..
Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #8

Unless you have the code tag that comes with the key, you are out of luck. The remote can not be reprogrammed with out that code. You will have to buy a new key from the dealer and they will have to program it to the car.
If you do buy a new key, insist that they give you the tag with the key code on it, so if it should ever lose its program, it can be reprogrammed again. Without the tag code, they cannot reprogram the remote.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #9
2000 Arena Red Base

Thanks Phil!
When I get back to Toledo next month, I'll have to try to find it in the manual.
Van
Bengalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #10

Not to throw cold water on the 911 procedure, but my experience was different for my 986. I purchased two new key heads from Suncoast and took the car to my independent repair shop. It was able to re-program the key using its Autologic computer.

Here's important part. The shop needed two codes. One was the code that came with each new key. The other was the immobilizer code. This was only available from the dealer, who was generous enough to provide it to the independent shop. With both codes in hand, the independent programmed the two keys in about 20 minutes.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
Ady

All sounds a bit odd doesnt it, I havent tried it but when I get time I'll give it a go, anybody any other ideas.
Thanx
Ady

Ady is offline   Reply With Quote