Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #1

Boxster 1999 problems after new battery

Hello...

I really really hope someone can help as I'm going crazy!

Got my Boxster 1999 back on the road, replaced the battery and now I have other issues. The first new battery I had fitted was faulty and as we were driving, the alarm sounded and the windows went down before the car completely stopped.

We called out the AA who diagnosed a faulty battery, had it replaced and the car is working well, will drive but the windows are stuck in a down position and will not move! I've tried resetting them but nothing, the roof will not move either and the central locking remote will not work either.

The AA man has suggested its the immobiliser but the car starts so I just don't know what to do!!

No one has posted this kind of issue before so hoping someone may be able to help!

Thank you!

T9SSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #2

People call it the immobilizer ...

... when it's actually the Central Locking Unit (CLU).
The Immobilizer is part of the CLU.
My guess is that you have an issue with the CLU. It may be wet. If that's the case act quickly to dry it or you'll end up loosing it altogether.
Check for dampness under the carpet behind the driver's seat.
If wet, take out the seat and lift the carpet.
take out the CLU and open it up.
Immerse the circuit board in alcohol to dissipate all the moisture.
Dry it and put it all back together and hope that it all works.
If not you may have to purchase a new CLU.
The CLU can only be programmed once so if it is bad don't buy ine off eBay.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by T9SSA View Post
Hello...

Got my Boxster 1999 back on the road, replaced the battery and now I have other issues. The first new battery I had fitted was faulty and as we were driving, the alarm sounded and the windows went down before the car completely stopped.

We called out the AA who diagnosed a faulty battery, had it replaced and the car is working well, will drive but the windows are stuck in a down position and will not move! I've tried resetting them but nothing, the roof will not move either and the central locking remote will not work either.

The AA man has suggested its the immobiliser but the car starts so I just don't know what to do!!

No one has posted this kind of issue before so hoping someone may be able to help!

Thank you!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T9SSA View Post
Hello...

Thank you!
Thank you Pedro,

The area where the alarm/immobiliser is, is bone dry. I'm going to try and change the fuse in the alarm unit, since my post the central locking has started playing up more.

Initially following the new battery the car would lick and open with the key and this included the button on the dash, now following a weird noise from the fuse box over the weekend where the car was just sat the central locking will not open the boot buttons or the petrol tank door.

I fear, if this is possibly that the faulty battery has blown a fuse or motor somewhere along the line. Going to have another go this evening and if all else fails going to book it in at the dealership! Someone has mentioned a micro switch might be out?

Thanks again

T9SSA is offline   Reply With Quote