986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Loud Raddle noise on Start up... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43476)

OneOfaKind 03-08-2013 06:28 AM

Loud Raddle noise on Start up...

Hello everyone,

I have a 1998 Boxster 2.5 and the ignition switch would get stuck like most do. This was one of the issues when I purchased the vehicle about 3 years ago. I replaced the ignition switch, therefore, the key no longer gets stuck in that position.

Only sometimes when the car is turned on, there is a loud grinding/raddle noise for about 2-3 seconds and then goes away. I have tried to see where it is coming and I believe its from the starter. As I mentioned before, it does not happen all the time.

What do you guys think it is, and how can I overcome it because it is annoying.

Thanx in advance for your help

Riz

kashmir 03-08-2013 07:05 AM

Welcome to the world of Boxster, they all do this it is all related to the poorly designed over head cam chains.

Mark_T 03-08-2013 07:11 AM

Some people have found that switching to Castrol Edge 5w40 has helped if they were previously using Mobil1 0w40.

shadrach74 03-08-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneOfaKind (Post 330584)
Hello everyone,

I have a 1998 Boxster 2.5 and the ignition switch would get stuck like most do. This was one of the issues when I purchased the vehicle about 3 years ago. I replaced the ignition switch, therefore, the key no longer gets stuck in that position.

Only sometimes when the car is turned on, there is a loud grinding/raddle noise for about 2-3 seconds and then goes away. I have tried to see where it is coming and I believe its from the starter. As I mentioned before, it does not happen all the time.

What do you guys think it is, and how can I overcome it because it is annoying.

Thanx in advance for your help

Riz

That is the sound of your valve-train clattering briefly before the chain tensioners and valve lifters build pressure.

Some say that heavier oil will quiet them down. If quiet is the goal then they can have it. IMO, 0W is what is best for this, and just about any street engine. the difference in flow between 0W-30 and 5W-30 synthetic at cold start-up is significant. The difference at operating temp is nil...

san rensho 03-08-2013 11:16 AM

I've chased the start up clatter since I got my car a couple of years ago. Changed the 2 lower tensioners and tried all kinds of oil from 0-40 to 20-50 with no significant change. The only thing that reduced, but has not eliminated the rattle has been changing to Red Line 5-40.

thom4782 03-08-2013 12:33 PM

Picking up on your thought that the noise was starter related, I can think of two possibilities. One, the ignition switch is starting to fail again. Two, and perhaps more likely, the throwout bearing on the starter is not allowing the starter to disengage quickly enough.

When it happens, are the conditions similar. For example, is it a cold start on a cold day?

OneOfaKind 03-08-2013 01:25 PM

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts but I have been using 0-40 Oil ever since owning the vehicle. Pretty sure the rattle is not from the oil used but from the starter.

Even after changing the ignition switch, the rattle was still there only on some start-ups.

Whether its cold or hot, the rattle seems to happen because something like the starter does not disengage as thom4782 mentioned.

I think I will have to look at the Starter. LOL

Thanks for the Quick responses guys.

kashmir 03-08-2013 01:55 PM

Can you record it at start up and post it?

com3dorm3 03-10-2013 07:45 PM

Interested on feedback too as I may have the same issue.
Here is a recording:
Boxster startup noise - YouTube

Timco 03-10-2013 08:39 PM

I was getting an intermittent start up squelch. It was the starter. New starter turns over twice as fast!!

Bendix spring. Starter does not pull back in on its own.

particlewave 03-10-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by com3dorm3 (Post 330979)
Interested on feedback too as I may have the same issue.
Here is a recording:
Boxster startup noise - YouTube

That's definitely the starter not disengaging fast enough.

recycledsixtie 03-11-2013 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 330997)

I have the same sound on after starting my 2001 Boxster base. I assumed that it was the cold weather affecting the starter. However it could be a permanent noise.
Is replacing the bendix starter spring an easy fix?

paintboy 03-11-2013 06:12 AM

Mine does the same thing, and I like you have a 1998 2.5. Mine always does it while cold, but never once the engine is warm. The stealership and my go to mechanic have both told me it is a starter bendix issue...or something like that related to the starter. They both told me that Boxster starters almost never fail, but most will get this annoyance with time. Since you have a 1998 2.5, the greater Boxster ever produced, I would not worry too much about it.

com3dorm3 03-11-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 330997)

Are the effects of this isolated to the starter or is it impacting other things like the flywheel teeth?

paintboy 03-11-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by com3dorm3 (Post 331022)
Are the effects of this isolated to the starter or is it impacting other things like the flywheel teeth?

Good question, but the dealership guy did not tell me I needed to fix it, and my other mechanic who does all the work on the car said it was nothing to worry about. Both could have told me replace and I would have, so maybe it IS ok to leave it alone...

particlewave 03-11-2013 09:19 AM

This will cause wear on both the starter and flywheel teeth eventually.

If you can source a spring, starters are easy to rebuild. I would fix it...if nothing else, to save yourself the embarrassment of the loud noise ;)

com3dorm3 03-11-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 331054)
This will cause wear on both the starter and flywheel teeth eventually.
If you can source a spring, starters are easy to rebuild. I would fix it...if nothing else, to save yourself the embarrassment of the loud noise ;)

Agree. It should be easy, though not as easy as finding the slope of the line given the equation -7x+3y-11=0

jaykay 03-11-2013 09:53 AM

Ahhh...+2.333

Is the sound while cranking the engine on the starter exclusively?

particlewave 03-11-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by com3dorm3 (Post 331056)
Agree. It should be easy, though not as easy as finding the slope of the line given the equation -7x+3y-11=0

Reverse the sign of x, divide by y... 7/3, 2 1/3, 2.3, etc. ;)

Heck, even if you can't find the spring, pull the old one out and stretch it some to give it more spring. Not a permanent fix, but better than nothing.

com3dorm3 03-11-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 331059)
Ahhh...+2.333
Is the sound while cranking the engine on the starter exclusively?

Ah, good that you remembered to put "+". I've had points deducted for not including it, go figure :)
The sounds seems to be from one source only, but I've been wrong before.