986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New rear Discs (rotors) and Pads Boxster `S` (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43379)

Porsche Pete 03-02-2013 01:53 PM

New rear Discs (rotors) and Pads Boxster `S`

2 Attachment(s)
So new wheels arriving this week... Wasnt going to fit just yet, but rear discs or rotors as u yanks call them have seen better days on one side.
So thinking might as well do these while the wheels are off..

Will renew both sides and pads of course...Just wondered what brands u guys are running..
Its a mine field out there where it comes to these..

I believe the Drilled and vented Pagid discs are OE ?? These are fairly reasonable
and easy to purchase...as are the pagid pads..

Is it worth investing in some..Green Stuff...Yellow stuff, EBC Only road use
some fast....Are these pads worth the extra bucks ??

Timco 03-02-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche Pete (Post 329741)
So new wheels arriving this week... Wasnt going to fit just yet, but rear discs or rotors as u yanks call them have seen better days on one side.
So thinking might as well do these while the wheels are off..

Will renew both sides and pads of course...Just wondered what brands u guys are running..
Its a mine field out there where it comes to these..

I believe the Drilled and vented Pagid discs are OE ?? These are fairly reasonable
and easy to purchase...as are the pagid pads..

Is it worth investing in some..Green Stuff...Yellow stuff, EBC Only road use
some fast....Are these pads worth the extra bucks ??

Sorry for the delay, I was examining your avatar....

I am DEFINITELY switching to something ceramic next round, every single trip anywhere coats my rims with brake dust.

thstone 03-02-2013 09:46 PM

I have used Mintex/Pagid stock pads along with EBC Greenstuff, Redstuff, and Yellowstuff. The stock pads work great for regular driving. The regular pads are fine for a track or autocross day now and then but ultimately will fade if you go real hard or are an experienced track driver.

The Greenstuff aren't much different than the stock pads - at least as far as I could tell.

The Redstuff pads are provide great grip and feel and work well for street use and work much better than stock pads at the track. But ultimately, they will have fade under heavy track duty.

The Yellowstuff pads are well suited for hard track duty without much fade at all. Unlike some other race pads, they can also be used around town and don't squeal when they are cold.

The method that I have used to select a pad is to start with stock and only move up ONLY if my driving causes the pad to significantly fade (a little fade is normal and the driver should be able to adjust for it by braking a little earlier or braking at the same point only a little harder) or if the pad gets overheated (litterally smoking) during driving.

If you're not getting significant brake fade or litterally overcooking the stock pads, then those should be fine. If you are, then move up to a combo street/track pad like the Redstuff. When you fade or overcook them, then move up to something like the Yellowstuff. When you overcook the Yellows, time to go to a full race pad and either live with the squeal when they're cold or swap the race pads with street pads between track driving and street driving.

Porsche Pete 03-06-2013 01:35 PM

So was like Christmas in the Porsche Pete house today..2 of my wheels turned up and while i am there my new Red Stuff pads and a Goodridge Brake line kit too...

Plenty to do then...and maybe the other 2 wheels will turn up tomorrow !!! :confused:

Gonna be a busy weekend :eek: