986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   HiD Light Conversion Kit or Phillips Extreme Vision Bulbs ?? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43353)

Porsche Pete 02-28-2013 06:51 AM

HiD Light Conversion Kit or Phillips Extreme Vision Bulbs ??

2 Attachment(s)
Next job on the agenda...Lights upgrade....

So i am steering towards the HiD conversion kits on the market, and have been advised
10,000k is ideal. Like the look too of the Bluey White lights too..

Handy with the tools so this doesnt phase me..

Or should i just opt for the Bulb upgrade... There are 2 x H7 sets on the Boxster so 4 bulbs in all

Just wondered if you have fitted them and what your thoughts are. Maybe what kit you have used.
There are plenty available on Ebay...but range from £30 upto £200..

Nimbus117 02-28-2013 07:07 AM

I would keep away from HID conversions in the UK, unless you fit headlamp leveling and headlamp washers, it will fail the MOT.

I have some 5500k Philips bulbs, had them about 3 years. Look like HID's and are brighter than the standard bulbs. I also added Cree 501 LED sidelights to match.

10,000k is just blue - chavs fit them to their cars. Not remotely cool, not bright enough and definitely illegal.

Crono0001 02-28-2013 07:12 AM

10k is way too blue. Not to mention you won't see anything.

5k is the norm. 6k is if you want a blue tint. Anything above that is just trash.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...52181454_n.jpg

I have 6k projectors and fogs.

Johnny Danger 02-28-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche Pete (Post 329361)
Next job on the agenda...Lights upgrade....

So i am steering towards the HiD conversion kits on the market, and have been advised
10,000k is ideal. Like the look too of the Bluey White lights too..

Handy with the tools so this doesnt phase me..

Or should i just opt for the Bulb upgrade... There are 2 x H7 sets on the Boxster so 4 bulbs in all

Just wondered if you have fitted them and what your thoughts are. Maybe what kit you have used.
There are plenty available on Ebay...but range from £30 upto £200..

Pete,

Is someone spiking your tea and crumpets over there ? Who's giving you all of this crazy advice ? We're going to have to drag you across the "pond" and put some sense into you ! If you're intent on doing an HID conversion kit, stick with either 5000k or 6000k. Not even Elton John in his younger years would approve of flashy bobo 10000k HID'S.

Perfectlap 02-28-2013 07:56 AM

I want bulbs from an LMP 1 Audi in my Litronics. :)
I saw a Singer 911 with that upgrade. But then again those guys spend $30K on wiring harnesses.

Kenny Boxster 02-28-2013 08:23 AM

Please no blue/purple/etc. 4.5-6k is good range.

Porsche Pete 02-28-2013 10:44 AM

If i go down the HiD route..5-6k sounds the option then. Guess will need 2 sets for the high beams and dipped as well,,

Would i need sets with the can bus ?

These look ok and not expensive

XENON HID CONVERSION KIT H7 6000K | eBay

thstone 02-28-2013 11:15 AM

I would suggest you might want to consider a projector conversion kit. No one will know they aren't Litronics.

Either way, get the best HID kit available. Lots of problems with the cheap kits on eBay.

Parrot356 02-28-2013 12:53 PM

I agree with the rest of the crowd. 10,000K are too blue, don't look correct and you get less light. I mistakenly bought a 10,000K set and once I installed them I realized my mistake. Of course being blue/purple color blind doesn't help. Things just blended together. After the test drive, I removed them and ordered the correct set of 6000K lights. Much happier now.

EssexPorsche 03-01-2013 12:13 AM

I'm running Litronics (from the factory - very happy:D

KRAM36 03-01-2013 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono0001 (Post 329366)
10k is way too blue. Not to mention you won't see anything.

5k is the norm. 6k is if you want a blue tint. Anything above that is just trash.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...52181454_n.jpg

I have 6k projectors and fogs.

Those lights are sweeeeeeet!!!!

Deserion 03-01-2013 04:59 AM

theretrofitsource.com

Plenty of correct information here on converting halogen reflector lights to projector HID, in addition to general xenon knowledge.

You may be able to retrofit a bi-xenon projector kit which would eliminate the need for two separate kits for low and high beams. That is, if doing such an install won't fail your MOT. :D

Porsche Pete 03-03-2013 03:28 AM

Great...good information there...

Going to give the HiD kit a go, and see the results..

Will i need the canbus version for a 2001 Boxster...is it worth doing both the high and low beam, guess that would be 2 sets wired seperately ?

If they pick up on the mot..can just pop the original bulbs back and re connect the wiring..simple

Crono0001 03-03-2013 07:18 AM

High beams are always halogen because you need the fast response. Xenon high beams would take too long to warm up and wouldn't serve the correct purpose.

Also, if you're going to do the HID conversion for your regular headlights, I suggest you eventually upgrade to projectors. It would be slightly irresponsible not to :)

Michiganstar 03-03-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche Pete (Post 329802)
Great...good information there...

Going to give the HiD kit a go, and see the results..

Will i need the canbus version for a 2001 Boxster...is it worth doing both the high and low beam, guess that would be 2 sets wired seperately ?

If they pick up on the mot..can just pop the original bulbs back and re connect the wiring..simple

I have to say that you're missing the point of any they're illegal in the UK Pete. You have headlights designed specifically to work with halogen bulbs and when you retrofit HIDs to these lights you will give off terrible glare to other road users. If, like some on here, you can utilise a projector unit then that is better in terms of beam pattern etc but still technically illegal for MOT purposes.
May I suggest you start looking out for cars with halogen beam pattern lights and retrofit HID kits out on the road at night. I am convinced when you see how bad they look and how blinding they can be you'll either go the upgraded halogen route or buy proper litronic headlights.
Anything less is rather selfish to other road users in my opinion. Apologies if this grates with anyone but HID kits with halogen headlight units are a big problem over here in the UK.

Nimbus117 03-06-2013 03:36 AM

Some new regulations are out for the MOT road worthiness test here in the UK, looks like aftermarket HiDs will definitely result in a failure without headlamp washing and leveling:

VOSA CHANGES TO THE MOT TEST EFFECTIVE FROM 20 MARCH 2013
What are the new elements to the MOT rest?
For Class 4, 5 and 7 vehicles:

Headlamp levelling and cleaning devices when fitted for HID or LED headlamps
Main beam ‘tell-tale’ warning
Battery (including batteries for electric or hybrid vehicles)
Electrical wiring and connectors
Trailer electrical socket security and damage
Operation of 13-pin trailer electrical sockets using an approved trailer socket tester
Operation of the steering lock (where fitted) including a malfunction warning in
respect of an electronic steering lock
Electronic power steering malfunction indicator lamp
Electronic parking brake control and malfunction indicator lamp
Electronic Stability Control (ESC) components, including the switch (if fitted) and
malfunction warning
Brake fluid warning lamp illuminated or inoperative
Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)
SRS components including airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners, seat belt load limiters
and SRS malfunction warning lamp
Engine mountings
Speedometer
Indirect vision devices (where they replace obligatory mirrors)

Porsche Pete 03-06-2013 03:42 AM

Hmmm think will give this some more thought then
May stick with just the bulb upgrades...and save myself a headache !!

Nimbus117 03-06-2013 04:38 AM

Shame, I wanted to change mine until I read this a couple of months ago. I also have a 2011 Civic Type R with OEM HiDs and they are so much brighter.

I assume the cost of the MOT will increase when these changes come into force later this month to cover the extra work.

Michiganstar 03-06-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche Pete (Post 330295)
Hmmm think will give this some more thought then
May stick with just the bulb upgrades...and save myself a headache !!

Stick a set of of Philips Extreme 100% bulbs in as they are an excellent solution.

Jaak 03-08-2013 06:41 PM

Been running Philips Extremes now for over two years with NO issues. Casts light down the road where it belongs ... not glaring onto oncoming drivers.