Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #1

Cree LEDs - the new solution?

Hi All,

Fitted some Cree LEDs to my car earlier and I am well impressed - will all LEDs now be Cree as they are so much better? Pics here:

Also fitted some LED number plate lights

What do you guys think?

Michiganstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #2

I don't see any LEDS in the front. I just see two big white glares.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #3

Tough crowd. Here is a better photo the night one was to illustrate the brightness.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #4

Garage
Where did you get them? Looks bright from the pics. How do they look to you?
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #5

Are there any heat issues related to putting this LED next to the low beams that might shorten the life of the LED? I've been reading about this issue on some of the other threads in this forum. Interested to know how this might be working.
ericinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #6

I'd be very careful to put high wattage LEDs in those sockets... might start to melt if they're on for prolong period of time.

PS: It looks like you put retrofit HID lamps into the halogen headlight housing... hence why it's showing glare to the camera.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #7

What the part number for the lic plate bulbs? Looks nice!
SF-Rockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #8

I bought them from Ebay 2x T10 501 W5W 5W POWER CREE LED LIGHT BULBS - XENON WHITE 6000K | eBay

I guess the US site should have similar. They look like they have a tiny led with a projector lens on the top. They certainly dont get anywhere near as hot as the old bulbs and I have never had any issues with LEDs melting plastic - certainly not over normal bulbs as the LEDs operate at far lower temperatures. If I get any problems I'll let you guys know but they look well made so I'm hoping they last.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
I'd be very careful to put high wattage LEDs in those sockets... might start to melt if they're on for prolong period of time.

PS: It looks like you put retrofit HID lamps into the halogen headlight housing... hence why it's showing glare to the camera.
Wouldnt dream of fitting HID lamps with the standard beam pattern headlight. I run H7 Philips Extreme 100%. The headlight are not on in my photo - that is taken with just the sidelights on.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #10

Yeah, I had thought those were HID Retrofits. That's why I couldn't spot the LED. I'd never imagine that those WERE the LEDs. But how does a white LED look like next to a yellow halogen?
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
Yeah, I had thought those were HID Retrofits. That's why I couldn't spot the LED. I'd never imagine that those WERE the LEDs. But how does a white LED look like next to a yellow halogen?
It drives me up the wall when I get blinded by badly retrofitted HID systems. There is a massive crackdown around it here in the UK. They dont contrast badly as the cree is so bright when its dark that it just looks like I have 4000k xenons fitted as there is that Xenon tinge to the headlight colour. The Philips bulbs I have are quite white compared to a standard bulb (and a heck of a lot brighter) - I cant take a photo to show you unless I take one when its light but then you dont get the proper effect.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #12

I have these Cree bulbs on both my cars, make great interior lights too. They are amazingly bright for LED's and certainly no way as hot as a standard bulb.
Nimbus117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus117 View Post
I have these Cree bulbs on both my cars, make great interior lights too. They are amazingly bright for LED's and certainly no way as hot as a standard bulb.
I just ordered a interior led retrofit kit from Sunset Porsche. I will review it here once installed.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #14
Homeboy981

Garage
I'll bite. Hook is set….now reel me in!

Have LEDs everywhere else (except the brake lights and rear turn sigs). Love 'em. Mine are blue on the interior and they produce a hue similar to an airplane cockpit.

LEDs make a lot less heat and a more pleasing & relevant color.

Enjoy!