Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 05:11 AM   #1

Car covers

For any of you that have to leave you Boxster out every once in awhile, what car covers are you using. I see that there are about 4-5 different materials used. I am a 3 car, 2 motorcycle guy with a two car garage. Wifes Merc has a permanent spot!

tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #2

I have that silver factory cover. I used it one winter and found that I had frost building up on the sides of the car underneath the cover, presumably from vapor from my wife's car idling to warm up beside it. I stopped using it and just rinse the accumulated dust in the spring. I would use it outside in the summer if I was having a problem with tree sap or pigeons.

Maybe consider a shed for the bikes?

I have that space problem creeping up on me as I also have a two car garage. Right now my truck sits outside, and the Boxster and wife's car are inside, but I'm on the hunt for a Mera so I'm going to have to figure something out. Might get one of those garage-in-a-box deals for the WC.

Last edited by Mark_T; 02-23-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #3

I have the Weathershield HP cover made by Covercraft. I purchased it from California Car Covers who sell it under the name Superweave. Beautiful tight fit on the car. I use it almost exclusively for daytime at work when it sits in the sun all day. Its garaged at night.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #4

One car garage, always parked outside. Have been using the Covercraft in Evolution fabric since 2007.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #5

Garage
I'm in the UK. We have a lot of rain, lots of trees, and increasingly bitter winters. My 2002S sits ouside all the time. Its covered with a stormforce 4 cover from these guys: Stormforce 4 Layer Waterproof and breathable Car Covers

It stays clean and dry under there. Breathable, 4 layer, one way cover, with straps.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #6

I too have a California Car Cover, in grey Superweave fabric. It is a really nice cover. Very well made and fits perfectly.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexPorsche View Post
I'm in the UK. We have a lot of rain, lots of trees, and increasingly bitter winters. My 2002S sits ouside all the time. Its covered with a stormforce 4 cover from these guys: Stormforce 4 Layer Waterproof and breathable Car Covers

It stays clean and dry under there. Breathable, 4 layer, one way cover, with straps.
Wow, this looks great.

Anyone know where to get one in the US just like it? With the alarm, securing straps, etc? The features shown at the top of their site?

http://www.coveryourcar.co.uk/stormforce.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Murrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #8

Thanks guys, I see I'm not the only one that has the problem. Really need to get one, since when it rains hard I found I have a leak (can't really be sure if it's fixed w/o leaving it out in a hard rain again).
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #9

If you have the space, I'd look into one of these compact portable tents.

Unless the car sits for long perkiods or is cleaned BEFORE the car cover goes on, each time, the car cover will end up damaging the paint more than helping. Once dirt and road sand gets on the inside of the cover its like rubbing sand paper on your car's paint. If you think there's a leak in the softop there are softop covers you can buy on ebay that cover only the canvas not the paint.

10 ft. x 20 ft. AutoShelter® Portable Garage

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-25-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote