986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   991 GT3 Picture - 20" dubs and PDK only (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43271)

Perfectlap 02-22-2013 10:00 AM

991 GT3 Picture - 20" dubs and PDK only

1 Attachment(s)
Apparently its getting an all new 4.0 engine (9K RPM) that will allegedly be raced in the Cups at some point in the near future. Not the current GT3 Mezger and not the 9A1 non-race contraption in the current 991/991S/991Turbo. Center Lock wheels are staying put despite all the complaints and insane maintenance costs for zero performance advantage. And judging by the 20" standard bling bling wheels, the speed shops will be busy selling 19" wheels to the track crowd... 18" wheels are out of the question. And of couse manual shifting is kaput...

$160K

Perfectlap 02-22-2013 10:05 AM

and The RSR

http://images.thecarconnection.com/l...00409369_l.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/l...00409373_l.jpg

DFW02S 02-22-2013 11:19 AM

The RSR in the first pic is showing some nice weight transfer coming out of that corner.
I wonder what he can pull for G's with those huge tires.

Porsche Chick 02-22-2013 12:50 PM

The back end of that looks almost identical (tail lights different) to the '88 911 widebody that hubby had back in the day.

Perfectlap, can you please decode your original post? You know, for us dufuses. . . :confused:

Perfectlap 02-22-2013 01:23 PM

^ Porsche uses a race engine as part of their racing series and its LeMans contenders.
The GT3 customers want that engine and always get it. They DON'T want the street engine that goes in "regular" Carreras (the ones that don't have G and T after the 997), certainly not for the price they're asked to pay. They want the real deal. Many Carrera owners don't know that they get a completely different engine and probably don't care since most of those don't take their cars to the track or Autrocross. The rumor was that begining 2014 Porsche was going to stop giving the GT3 customers the race engine. They stopped giving the 997 Turbo buyers the race engine a few years ago, I think '09 was the last. Well now it turns out that Porsche has been secretely cooking up a completely new race engine that's going to rev like an F1 motor and the GT3 buyers will be getting it after all. They just have to pay double what a "lowly" entry-level Carrear runs. Actually the pricing isn'r too bad since the GT's are the only water-cooled Porsches that hold value anymore. Your'e coughing up $120K for a 991 S no matter what. So what's another $40K for another 50 HP, cool new aero bits and funny looking stickers on the outside? pennies...

The Center Lock wheel was an unrequested experiment by Porsche's engineers who apparently love watching Formula 1 pit stops and thought it would be really neat to have one big bolt securing the whole wheel instead of five little ones. Turns out they have some issues, like not keeping the wheels on the car. So they selectively chose certain GT3's, by VIN# apparently, but not all the of them, to come in for a fix. And Porsche also issued a bizzare warning that if you drove your track-oriented GT3 in "an unusually aggressive manner" <--- lawyer words, that all bets were off. Some have paid thousands of dollars to undo the Center Lock mechanism and return the wheel to a five bolt.

Oh and everyone who isn't a professional driver despises the idea of fun tracking a GT3 with PDK.

I think that sums it up... and they will probably sell more 991 GT3 than any previous GT3. Probably by a lot.
Too bad the Corvette Stingray Z06 variant will be faster With enough money left over to buy you 981 Cayman S.

husker boxster 02-22-2013 02:30 PM

GT3s and Twin Turbos are in a rent district that I don't belong, so I don't keep up on all their stratospheric pricing. Was there a 997 GT3 and a GT3 RS 4.0? I thought the RS 4.0 was 200 large. If the new 991 GT3 is the same as the RS 4.0, isn't $160K a "deal"?

Perfectlap 02-22-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 328661)
GT3s and Twin Turbos are in a rent district that I don't belong, so I don't keep up on all their stratospheric pricing. Was there a 997 GT3 and a GT3 RS 4.0? I thought the RS 4.0 was 200 large. If the new 991 GT3 is the same as the RS 4.0, isn't $160K a "deal"?

Good point. But the RS 4.0 is like $230K'ish and they go fast due to only making like 600 or something... and they might be the last to have a manual so they could hold value or maybe they'll collapse in price since most GT3 buyers just chase after the latest and greatest GT3. I guess it depends how badly the deep-pocket wants to row his own gears, pay up for the old thing or get a "bargain" on the new.
Either way I'm not sure if there enough purists to hold up the pricing of all the GT3 variants. Still a mass produced car at the end of the day...

By the way, 997 Turbo prices are falling fast. I've seen a few dip into the $70K's. That's a car that was $120K like 3 years ago. Turbo depreciation is brutal.
The 2012 991's aren't faring much better. They're dropping 20-30% below sticker already. Porsche went totally nuts on their pricing thanks to all these new Chinese and Brazilian billionaires. Sucks for the existing owners who don't switch $100K cars like these billionaires switch socks.

p.s.
While on the topic of track oriented activities, car insurance companies in sports car hotbed states like CA and FL have been sending out some new provisions in their coverage. Namely dropping any manner of high performance driving activity from their coverage, as in no more autocross 'instruction' (vs racing) or DE's. And not surprisingly track day insurance companies are all set to bend everyone over the barrell. Their rates are apparently somewhere between heroic and astounding.
Race em' while you still can...