Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

What's your fun driving routine and time?

I am sure a lot of us have a particular time of day or route we like to drive for fun.

When I am not working, I like to go in the late morning to early afternoon, 10am-2pm or so - as I feel there are less cars out on a weekday, and you have some more room on the nice roads. Likewise, at night you can have more - but then you have less visibility on curvy fun roads that can be driven harder during the day.

I found some glorious curvy roads near where I live, and I've developed a sort of little route to get there. It's fun! The Boxster is a car you can drive near its limit, but still be relatively safe and within street limits. I like that.

rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #2

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
i usually take a weekday off from work during the school year (fewer minivans full of kids) and take a drive around Mt Rainier. takes a few hours and it's a great drive...

this is the fun bit...

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #3

That looks great! How is the traffic on there usually?
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave928 View Post
i usually take a weekday off from work during the school year (fewer minivans full of kids) and take a drive around Mt Rainier. takes a few hours and it's a great drive...
If you are going up 410, a side trip (maybe 10 miles tops) is to go to the top of Chinook Pass (closed for winter right now, usually open in late May). Spectacular views up that way.

I have also driven the road around the south of Mt. Rainier, but early enough in the season that it was closed at or near the park entrance as you headed east. I'll have to remember to head that way this summer.
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #5

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
That looks great! How is the traffic on there usually?
during the summer you probably won't get over 20-30 mph, traffic up the ass.

that's why i go during the school year, then it's pretty much unlimited speed wise, unless you run across a park ranger. either sept-oct before the snows close that road or april-may after it's plowed.

actually one year just going thru the part that's in the state park boundaries (basically B to E on that map), i only had to pass 3 cars total.

i had the road all to myself. :dance:

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

This is one of my favorites. I go there every couple of months either with an org or for an open testing day. Its a good way to keep the oil and blood flowing fast!

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
N Euclid Ave to Azusa, CA - Google Maps

This is The "Tail of the Dragon" west. It is tight, narrow, twisty, light traffic, light enforcement, with breathtaking views along the way. A nice three hour tour with a stop for a beer at the end. My favorite time is late afternoon catching sunset at the lookout and hitting the watering hole at dusk.