986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   For this who have fixed the knotchy shifter (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43148)

Mike o 02-12-2013 09:32 AM

For this who have fixed the knotchy shifter

Just curious what did you do to fix it? I've read many times remedies of replacing Transmition mounts, motor mounts, fluid change, etc. I've changed the tranny fluid with swepco. Problem has worsened. While warming the car up in the driveway. I'll depress the clutch and run through the gears smoothly. But as soon as tires roll, forward or reverse, the shifter gets very knotchly, almost stubborn. I can hear a loud click from outside the car as I shift from 1st to 2nd. Interesting, when the car is run for over a 1/2 hours things are much smoother again. I liked to hear any success stories and tips regarding what I should look at.

Thank you

Spinnaker 02-12-2013 12:28 PM

Others who had similar experiences say that using the Porsche gear oil gave the best results. Lots of posts about it here on the forum.

grubinski 02-12-2013 03:34 PM

I have some of the same experiences as you. My trans shifts fine dead cold, and then is more finicky for about a 1/2 hour, then it shifts fine when fully warmed up ... this even with new (was new, anyway) Porsche transaxle fluid.

I do the following 2 things during that finicky half hour...

[1] I find it shifts better if I *just* hesitate going through neutral, rather than going too fast or trying to be too careful.

[2] I also find it shifts better if I lightly hold the lever to the left on a 1->2 shift, before I and as I pull the lever back. Going 2->3 I let it find the middle of the gate by itself, same for 3->4. Going 4->5 and 5->6 I hold slight pressure on the lever to the right as I initiate and complete the shift, to help it find the proper gate.

I find there is much less gnashing of the gears and my teeth when I do all of this.

Bala 02-13-2013 01:23 AM

I had tried everything including replacing newly filled tranny oil. It was with the short throw shifter though.

I used the shifter lock tool to reinstall the original shifter - remove both connections on tranny side first, install the shifter using the lock, then put the tranny side connections in. All my issues magically went away.

Mike o 02-13-2013 11:50 AM

I appericiate the responses. I would never have guessed either one. Anyone else have a success story?

rondocap 02-13-2013 12:47 PM

I only have that knotchy feel on the 1-2 upshift and the 3-2 downshift. All other gears are normal. Is this 2nd gear thing normal? Just feels a little more resistant than the other gears.

RandallNeighbour 02-13-2013 01:13 PM

My 1-2 and 2-1 shifts are very notchy and stiff when the car is cold in cool or cold weather. However, they loosen up nicely after the tranny oil is hot.

2nd gear is evidently a "sticking point" for lots of boxster owners from what I've read online here and other places...

blue2000s 02-13-2013 01:19 PM

You probably want to clarify which transmission you're talking about. There have been 4 between the 986 and 987 cars. Also, in what dictionary do you find the word knotchy?

Mike o 02-13-2013 02:10 PM

Good point. 2001 s 6 speed. Knotchy..... 3rd grade eduumacation! :)