Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #1

Went out with the top down - a cool 44 degrees!

So today the sun came out after a few days of snow and bad weather, and it hit a nice 44 degrees.

I put the top down, and went for a nice drive - highway and all! With a hat it's actually pretty comfortable, not bad.

I know a lot of people only put their top down over 60, but I can't help it - and it's fun.

And I know furthermore, some people even don't drive their Boxsters in the winter - tisk tisk!

Lately I've been keeping my other car parked and just letting it out with the 986.

rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #2

I like to drive with the top down during winter as well. With the heat on and the Sun beating down no big deal.
Also, I find that the engines feels smoothest when the temps are in the 50's. Now that its in the 30's it seems a bit noisier until the engine warms up. But lately I try to reduce the total number of ice cold starts during winter. I'll drive once, take of all my errands quickly and call it a day.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #3

Garage
Fellow Jersey Boxsters. I to would love the Winter drop top other than the Plastic window concerns. Currently it is in great shape, don't want to crack it. Mine is a daily driver and down here(near Phila) we have been on the rain side of the storms. Salt is my other deterring factor but now that the roads are washed and with a little radiant heat on the window, maybe its time
Old 02-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #4

Top down at 38 Degrees....the wife was a trooper on that 2hr drive.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #5

Cool early morning drive

Okay, I know you guys are going to hate this, but...

I live in the Tampa Bay area, where we've had a very warm winter - temps predominately in the 70s. However, two weeks ago this coming Saturday, I drove over to Sebring to volunteer - help out in corner 8 at the 48 hours of Sebring Porsche races. It was about a 2 hour drive over from my home in Palmetto, had to leave at 5:30 am to get to Sebring by 7 am (obviously at speed around 80 to 90) with the top down. This particular morning, it was about 48 when my buddy and I left my house, right on the water, and headed inland towards Sebring. Of course, I never drive with the top up, unless it's raining. The temps dropped steadily, and by the time we within 30 miles of Sebring, it was in the high 30s. We weren't heavily dressed, no hats, but with the seat heaters on high and the heater on, it was a pretty nice drive. We were actually colder out on the race course, standing in the shade, watching the racers fly by.

So, after working the morning, cruising the pits and having lunch, we headed home. By then, it had warmed up to the low 70s, and we had a marvelous cruise home. BTW, we ended up with sunburns.

Gotta love the Boxster S!

Pat
Stiletto Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Here in Charlotte the top down season is from mid-sept to mid-may after that it is too hot. Heated seats, heater on, thin ski cap an we drive all winter with the top down. With the sun out anything between 45 and 75 is perfect.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:21 AM   #7

Here in Little Rock,Arkansas, we will have cars and coffee tomorrow from 8-10 AM.29 degrees and windy/cloudy so the hardtop stays on.QUESTION--What is the limit for cold before the plastic window is in danger during raising and lowering?
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #8

Garage
I think I've always read or heard around 45 deg.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #9

45 sounds good to me! Thanks
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
Top down at 38 Degrees....the wife was a trooper on that 2hr drive.
Don't ever lose her! She's a saint!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #11

Never thought I'd have a use for heated seats, but it was 60 out, and with the top down the seats were a huge help.

I also have air conditioning in my seats, which is pretty boss, too.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
Medicated Open-Air Driver

Okay, I may not be able to top Porsche Chick and Stiletto Pat but I can opine about NJ temp....

1. If you have a plastic rear window then do NOT put the top down under any type of cold temp (below 60 degrees) as your car is probably older and the plastic is more brittle.....I am speaking from experience, so please accept my opinion.

2. Now, to the fun life....growing up in Northern Jersey and playing hockey and a skier since I was 5 years old, my starting point is 40 degree's and warmer with the window's up, heat on, seats on and a turtleneck and sweater. SHE is always topless from 40 and warmer!!!! Toasty and the fresh air is actually better for you!
BDBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #13
I am my own mechanic....

I have my top down over 38*.

Every time!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #14

No heated seats, but drove in this morning in low 50's with no jacket or hat (just a regular buttoned down shirt, no sports coat). With heating on and sunny skies it was just fine.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #15

I actually like to drive in the rain with the top down. Highway of course. Water flys right over. I get lots of weird looks.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
Medicated Open-Air Driver

Agree....If I was on the GSP in some rain then her top is off!!!

BDBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote