986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   airbag warning. (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43084)

mountainman 02-08-2013 09:44 AM

airbag warning.

All of a sudden I am getting an airbag light and airbag failure warning on the 04 boxster. Anyone experienced this and know of the possible cause. Haven't done any maintenance or alteration that would have disturbed any connections or anything.

BYprodriver 02-08-2013 09:52 AM

Most common cause is the seatbelt receptacle. Be certain that you fully insert the belt for full engagement. Durametric can check codes & turnoff the light.

thom4782 02-08-2013 11:02 AM

+1 on BYprodriver suggestion. My '01 has had the sir bag light come on 3 times. All were triggered by the driver side seat belt receptical. Cleared the code each time and the light stayed of for months and months afterward.

RandallNeighbour 02-08-2013 11:36 AM

Take some contact cleaner for computers and spray it into the hole where you plug in your seat belt tongue in the receptacle. Do this with the ignition off of course.

Then get someone with a durametric tool or PST tool to turn off the airbag warning light.

I had this problem years ago and decided to buy new receptacles ($19 a piece at the time) to fix the problem for an extended period of time.

Sheesh. I forgot about that repair. I've done so much it's all getting blurry now!

Murrgh 02-11-2013 06:42 PM

Interesting that I just saw this.

I just took my '01 Boxster to the import service station for an oil change and my airbag light had been on for a few weeks now. They saw it and checked it for me and said the electrical part of my ignition was going bad and that it was a very common problem. Apparently this causes the Lights to come on.

Keep us posted!

mountainman 02-14-2013 10:11 AM

Thanks guys, Sprayed the seat belt receptacle a couple of times with contact cleaner and after about 10 miles of driving the light and fault warning went out and it is driving as usual.

RichRobby 06-30-2016 03:57 AM

I now have the airbag warning light on, my own fault I guess.

I tried to remove the electrical connector from the seatbelt assembly (not seatbelt receptor) - (when trying to trace water leak) but I couldn't because I couldn't work out how it was secured. I didn't do any physical damage to it but I now get the warning light. Can I assume that removing the connector whilst the battery is connected will automatically trigger the light and only be fixable by a diagnostic tool reset?

Is the only fix a reset by someone with the right diagnostic tool or could it also be more than just the reset as well?

Damn, sometimes the simplest things you try to do yourself back fire and cost you money!

JFP in PA 06-30-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichRobby (Post 501546)
I now have the airbag warning light on, my own fault I guess.

I tried to remove the electrical connector from the seatbelt assembly (not seatbelt receptor) - (when trying to trace water leak) but I couldn't because I couldn't work out how it was secured. I didn't do any physical damage to it but I now get the warning light. Can I assume that removing the connector whilst the battery is connected will automatically trigger the light and only be fixable by a diagnostic tool reset?

Is the only fix a reset by someone with the right diagnostic tool or could it also be more than just the reset as well?

Damn, sometimes the simplest things you try to do yourself back fire and cost you money!

Disconnecting just about anything in the airbag system while it is powered up will trigger a code. Some faults will reset themselves, others not so much, and will require being reset by a Porsche specific diagnostic tool.