986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Just bought 2000 boxster s (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43018)

ybn533 02-03-2013 10:29 PM

Just bought 2000 boxster s

Hi,
Just bought this baby for the summer with 78,000miles.

the paint was so nasty and I tought I will have to paint the car. BUT after 5 hours of work and 2 layers of polish and 2 layers of wax the paint looks like new

Have some issues to fix:
1. There is a noise from the rear right when passing on bumps. any ideas?

2. When moving from 2 to 3 gear i feal a little bang (tiptronic), could it be the engine mount?

3. I see an oil leak. I need to clean the engine to see where it comes from. any known places for boxsters?

4. speakers - it seems that one of the owners before did a stupid job and chancheled the front speakers. put only tweeters. now I need to set a new 4" speakers but don't have the old speakers to use them as a base. any idea how to do it? or I must buy used speakers from ebay?

5. Hard start - When I'm starting the car COLD it start after 3 second starter spinning. not fast but ok. when the car is HOT (and sitting above 5-10 minutes) it starts after some starter spinning and on the second try with a little press on the gas pedal.
What can it be?

Yaronhttp://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1359962461.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1359962546.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1359962660.jpg
Yaronhttp://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1359962930.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1359962774.jpg

Thanks guys

ChrisZang 02-04-2013 05:53 AM

Shalom,

Really hard to do a remote diagnose, but most of your issues have been discussed on this board.
Do a search.
Look for RMS leak, dash speaker, noise in the rear could with be a worn shock, a bad bushing or a broken sway bar link

Good luck

Meir 02-04-2013 08:26 AM

Hello Yaron, and welcome to the forum.
did you buy the car from Eli by any chance?

ybn533 02-04-2013 09:35 AM

Thanks Chris :)

Hi Meir,
No, bought it from someone else.

Meir 02-04-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ybn533 (Post 326133)
Thanks Chris :)

Hi Meir,
No, bought it from someone else.

so once again, congratulation and welcome.
the reason i asked, is because he has the same car, and had issue with a control arm.
i'm sure you will find this forum very helpful, but with suspension noises, it is very hard to point to the problem. as Chris mentioned (nice Hebrew dude) it could be any part of the suspension.
have someone inspect it, and he will be able to tell you which parts are worn.
and yes, any mechanic can do that, don't let them give you the regular "it a Prsche, 10K shekel for a fix" BS.
about the oil leak, two most common issues are the RMS, and the plug tubes.
you can read all about it in this book:
Pelican Parts.com - 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster

or in this set of articles:
Pelican Parts - Porsche Boxster 986 / 987 and Carrera 996 / 987 Technical Articles

WhipE350 02-04-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 326144)
the reason i asked, is because he has the same car, and had issue with a control arm.

ybn - Looks nice. You'll get good advice here.

Meir - I sent Eli my control arms, haven't heard back if they helped...funny I wondered the same thing :)

ChrisZang 02-04-2013 06:58 PM

I think I have pair of front speakers somewhere in my garage, you can have them for free (need to find them first) but I guess shipping to IL will be astronomical ...

ybn533 02-04-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisZang (Post 326206)
I think I have pair of front speakers somewhere in my garage, you can have them for free (need to find them first) but I guess shipping to IL will be astronomical ...

Hi Chris,

I have a warehouse in NJ btw.

I just bought this kit to fit speaker in the dash:
someone took out the speakers from the dash.

I will buy new 4" speakers for the dash and 5.25" for the doors. any recommendations?

Thanks guys :)
Yaron

jcb986 02-05-2013 04:55 AM

Have some issues to fix:
Check control arm, also the shock, even the bottom body panel which is made of plastic could be bumping, it's just screwed in.

2. When moving from 2 to 3 gear i feal a little bang (tiptronic), could it be the engine mount?
Very well could be the front motor mount, also check the axles for lose play.

3. I see an oil leak. I need to clean the engine to see where it comes from. any known places for boxsters?
Spark plug tubes, cam plugs, AOS, axle seal at the transmission...just had my done due to a leak.

4. speakers - it seems that one of the owners before did a stupid job and chancheled the front speakers. put only tweeters. now I need to set a new 4" speakers but don't have the old speakers to use them as a base. any idea how to do it? or I must buy used speakers from ebay?
Check with Porsche and see what they used in the past.

5. Hard start - When I'm starting the car COLD it start after 3 second starter spinning. not fast but ok. when the car is HOT (and sitting above 5-10 minutes) it starts after some starter spinning and on the second try with a little press on the gas pedal.
May suggestion is to clean the throttle body real good. But my real thoughts are MAF or fuel pump or the cam sensor and you can clean the cam sensor.
Good luck...I also have a 2000S with TIP, Love It.

ybn533 02-05-2013 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcb986 (Post 326236)
Have some issues to fix:
Check control arm, also the shock, even the bottom body panel which is made of plastic could be bumping, it's just screwed in.

Very well could be the front motor mount, also check the axles for lose play.

Spark plug tubes, cam plugs, AOS, axle seal at the transmission...just had my done due to a leak.

Check with Porsche and see what they used in the past.

May suggestion is to clean the throttle body real good. But my real thoughts are MAF or fuel pump or the cam sensor and you can clean the cam sensor.
Good luck...I also have a 2000S with TIP, Love It.

Thanks fro the good advises :cheers:

ybn533 10-15-2013 04:25 AM

Hi every one,

Fixed all the problem, left only with the hard start.
1- the cover in the back cabin was making the noise.
2- motor mount was dead
3- spark plug tubes
4- put new speakers

5- Hot start problem.
1-4 fixed alone diy at home.
I talked with the Porsche garage and they want a lot of money for the diagnostics, not talking about parts....

So, I think maybe it's better and will cost me less if I'll change the must common parts that involved with this problem. Maybe it sound stupid but paying 500$ for diagnostics sound more stupid to me. I already bought a new fuel pump. So, crank sensor will be next? what more to eliminate the problem?

Thanks for the advice.
Yaron

heliguy 10-15-2013 04:53 AM

Nice car, but I love the Yak and the pattern plane hanging on your wall.

ybn533 10-15-2013 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heliguy (Post 367694)
Nice car, but I love the Yak and the pattern plane hanging on your wall.

By your name I understand your hobby too :)

Btw I have a few more planes....

seventythree 10-15-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ybn533 (Post 367688)
Hi every one,

Yaron

Which cover? Can you be more specific?
Thanks

ybn533 10-15-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seventythree (Post 367711)
Which cover? Can you be more specific?
Thanks

in the cabin there is a plastic cover under the carpet that covers the the jack there. when you hit a bump on the road it makes noise.

Perfectlap 10-15-2013 06:35 AM

what does it cost you to fill up the gas tank in Israel?

ybn533 10-15-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 367714)
what does it cost you to fill up the gas tank in Israel?

11$ for a gallon :eek:

Btw, I see you are from NJ. I have warehouse at Hillside, NJ

seventythree 10-15-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ybn533 (Post 367712)
in the cabin there is a plastic cover under the carpet that covers the the jack there. when you hit a bump on the road it makes noise.

Which cabin, what cover, what jack? :confused:
Isn't the jack in the front trunk inside the spare wheel?
Are we talking about a Boxster here?

BTfd2e93 10-15-2013 10:28 PM

for 5) not trying to state the obvious here ... but maybe your battery is weak/old?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ybn533 (Post 367688)
Hi every one,

2- motor mount was dead
3- spark plug tubes
4- put new speakers

5- Hot start problem.
1-4 fixed alone diy at home.
I talked with the Porsche garage and they want a lot of money for the diagnostics, not talking about parts....

So, I think maybe it's better and will cost me less if I'll change the must common parts that involved with this problem. Maybe it sound stupid but paying 500$ for diagnostics sound more stupid to me. I already bought a new fuel pump. So, crank sensor will be next? what more to eliminate the problem?

Thanks for the advice.
Yaron