Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Likes her Top OFF

Clunking when wheel turned to full lock

So when I first got my 2000 s it would make a creeking sound when turning the wheel at start up now it's gone but I get a hefty clunk when in fullock and moving fwd.. Any ideas I was thinking ball joint or control arm however no local mech so if anyone else have the same would be good to diag and replace if serious as i commute and hour and a half away twice a week. Thank you ahead of time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

nakedteets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #2

Garage
Could be a ball joint... or strut tower bushings / wheel bearing / power steering linkage ???
Either way - just lift it and give the wheels a good wiggle and see if anything feels loose...
H
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #3

Sounds like when you turn the wheel to tight the tire maybe catching on something...look for rub marks.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #4

Garage
Mine turned out to be inner tie rods. I ordered both outer and inner Moog replacements. around $30 bucks each. This was discovered when I tried to take it in for an alignment. I was also getting a lurch to the right on hard acceleration and dip to the left with braking. The Box is torn down now and waiting for me to put in the new tie rods this weekend.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #5

Garage
I had the same noise on the right hand side when turning or going over small bumps. I put the front of the car on jack stands and proceeded to grab and shake everything in the front suspension I could. Turned out to be a loose drop link on the right side. I got very lucky. I ended up looking up the torque spec and just tightening it up. That was over 2 years ago and it's still quiet to this day. Good luck.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
noneoftheabove

The creaking sound upon turning the wheel can indicate that there could be a leak in the power steering line. If there is a higher pitch noise along with the creaking, it can be your power steering pump trying to pump the liquid that could be leaking.

As for the clunks when full lock, definitely get your lower balljoints checked out. I had a friend nearly died due to damn balljoints.

Last edited by RoadsideStig; 02-05-2013 at 02:26 PM.
RoadsideStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
Likes her Top OFF

Thanx will do my issue now is finding a local p mech I used to go to a shop when I had my 44 but since they closed anyone known of any in Central Washington?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

nakedteets is offline   Reply With Quote