986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   new Focus ST (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42941)

jacabean 01-27-2013 02:03 PM

new Focus ST

Test drove one today (st3 package) . thinking of replacing my wife's aging 128i 6 speed . i am not sure of it after the drive . first off , the front wheel drive and steering felt odd to me . the 2.0 turbo did not feel all that power full either . the quality was surprisingly good. the size of it feels right and is loaded with all the stuff my wife wants.
i am curious to to know what some forum members think of this little rally car.
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1359327237.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1359327754.jpg

thstone 01-27-2013 02:27 PM

I think that the Focus is a great looking car, but not really a sports sedan. You'll hard pressed to find a FWD turbo car that drives and feels like a BMW RWD NA car. With that being said, the Focus is one of the best in its class. If you like it, buy it.

Johnny Danger 01-27-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 325314)
I think that the Focus is a great looking car, but not really a sports sedan. You'll hard pressed to find a FWD turbo car that drives and feels like a BMW RWD NA car. With that being said, the Focus is one of the best in its class. If you like it, buy it.

Obviously, you haven't driven a Mini Cooper S ! :)

jmitch 01-27-2013 04:07 PM

Focus ST

Love the ST versus a GTI. I think the ST is a better drive and a more solid chassis. Also drove the Golf R, WOW! But nearly $10,000 more depending on how you spec it out.

jacabean 01-27-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 325316)

we looked at the mini . it is a little on the small side and to equip it like the focus really pushes the price way up. also looked at the Subie brz . way to small and not daily driver friendly.

Porsche Chick 01-27-2013 04:55 PM

Have you looked at the Mazda Speed3? It has some amazing hp (over 260) and monstrous torque. But it's a hatchback, so there's room, similar to a Focus. It's not a precise car, like the Boxster, it doesn't have as much steering feedback, it has a bit of roll in the corners, but it has a back seat and 4 doors. It's suprisingly roomy inside. I tested a lot of cars before I ended up with the Boxster, and the Mazda Speed3 was very zippy.

thstone 01-27-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 325316)

?? I have a Mini Cooper S JCW. 200 hp. Full JCW brakes, suspension, exhaust. Its even painted Danger yellow! Great, great car but to me it doesn't drive like any of my RWD NA BMW's. I find them to be apples and oranges.

CasualCarnivore 01-27-2013 06:10 PM

I own a WRX Hatch as a DD, interior is very plastic but the drive train is SOLID. Feels very much like a RWD car.

Johnny Danger 01-27-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 325331)
?? I have a Mini Cooper S JCW. 200 hp. Full JCW brakes, suspension, exhaust. Its even painted Danger yellow! Great, great car but to me it doesn't drive like any of my RWD NA BMW's. I find them to be apples and oranges.

I know. I was just teasing you. :) Anyway, you have to admit that the Mini performs great and it's a blast to drive. In my opinion, there are very few vehicles in that category and price range that perform on the same level. That's why I just bought another one.

thstone 01-28-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 325336)
I know. I was just teasing you. :) Anyway, you have to admit that the Mini performs great and it's a blast to drive. In my opinion, there are very few vehicles in that category and price range that perform on the same level. That's why I just bought another one.

hah! Good one. :cheers:

smagerstein 01-28-2013 11:53 AM

Check out a Renault Megane RS Turbo,

Here in Europe these are hot hatches that set the benchmark.

jb92563 01-28-2013 12:06 PM

If its for the wife and kids/transporter you might as well get something that looks nice, drives decent and is cheap so you can spend the extra dough on your Porsches.

The kids/wife won't notice the difference unless you live in a neighborhood where impressing the neighbors is a priority.

In that case buy a soccer mom Hummer, and get the turret option with the beer can cannon so you can be cool when visiting the guys with it. :p

Kiritsugu 02-02-2013 05:56 PM

I have heard very good things from an owner of this car. He has a souped up Cayman S.