986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Climate control problem (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42917)

jmd 01-25-2013 12:10 PM

Climate control problem

Hi Guys, New to Boxster's and the forum. Have a 2003 S with a faulty climate control system I'm looking for some info on.

The problem is, If the temperature is set to high, hot air comes out fine, anything under high, ie 29.5, blows cold air. I've been doing a bit of research on this but would like to confirm my suspicions before taking anything apart.

Where are the temperature sensors for the interior? I know there is one under the dash on the airflow path and possibly one in the housing on the middle of the top dash, where the alarm light is? Are there any others?

My guess is that one of these has failed and is constantly reading high, hence the control unit thinking the temperature is always high, the HI setting overrides the sensor and then blows hot.

Do you think I'm on the correct track?

Thanks

Auf los! 01-25-2013 12:41 PM

AFAIK, there is only one automatic climate control temperature sensor in the interior. It is in the far right (passenger-side) of the dash, behind the circular grille below the air vent. It is in the opposite position of the headlight switch, in other words. You can either pull out the circular fitting from the vent housing, or remove two Torx screws from the side of the vent housing and wrestle the vent housing off the end of the dash. I've done that and handled the sensor a couple of times. Good luck!

Meir 01-25-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auf los! (Post 325102)
AFAIK, there is only one automatic climate control temperature sensor in the interior. It is in the far right (passenger-side) of the dash, behind the circular grille below the air vent. It is in the opposite position of the headlight switch, in other words. You can either pull out the circular fitting from the vent housing, or remove two Torx screws from the side of the vent housing and wrestle the vent housing off the end of the dash. I've done that and handled the sensor a couple of times. Good luck!

correct.
just on a UK car, it will be on the left air vent.

jmd 01-25-2013 01:44 PM

That's definitely a start then, I was looking in completely the wrong place. Tomorrow's job to get that out for testing then.

tmp6780 03-27-2014 07:04 AM

Climate control issue

I have the same issue on my 2000 S. Original owner, 70K miles. I had an independent mechanic tell me it would be $400 to send out the control unit to recalibrate.

JMD: I'm wondering if you resolved your issue and if you found the sensor had failed?

I've been operating AC and heat in "manual" mode for a couple of years and getting tired of either freezing or boiling, never being just right!

Thanks.

Peter

Victor Pajak 03-26-2016 10:13 PM

Aircon issues

Hi, I have exactly the same problem as you stated. An auto aircon mechanic analysed that the interior temp sensor was at fault and telling the car that it was 48 degrees inside! Hence the car immediately went into full cooling mode. The mechanic quoted £48 for the part but then told me that it was gonna be more like £200 plus labour etc. So I told him that I would first check whether there was a faulty connection issue before paying out. My issue is that I can't locate it. I have a right hand drive, 2001, 3.2S. I was told it was behind the right hand side vent but I couldn't see it.
Please can you help me? And did you resolve your problem? Many thanks,Victor.

grc0456 03-27-2016 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Pajak (Post 489042)
Hi, I have exactly the same problem as you stated. An auto aircon mechanic analysed that the interior temp sensor was at fault and telling the car that it was 48 degrees inside! Hence the car immediately went into full cooling mode. The mechanic quoted £48 for the part but then told me that it was gonna be more like £200 plus labour etc. So I told him that I would first check whether there was a faulty connection issue before paying out. My issue is that I can't locate it. I have a right hand drive, 2001, 3.2S. I was told it was behind the right hand side vent but I couldn't see it.
Please can you help me? And did you resolve your problem? Many thanks,Victor.

It should be on the passenger side (left) for a UK car. Right under the vent.

mahadevdave 11-28-2016 04:25 PM

Hi, I know this is 3 years down the road, but I have the same problem with climate control, that is only blows hot if set on HI. Did you ever fix the problem. You do not seem to of had any replies to your question?

Roger1965 11-29-2016 11:50 AM

Well, I have the same problem and have found no answers in two years of searching. Just like you, only get heat on "HI". Changed out sensor but that didn't do it.

I have learned to live with it.

particlewave 11-29-2016 12:18 PM

The heater core is always hot. The heater core flap blocks it off on lower temp settings and gradually opens to allow air to flow over it as you raise the temp relative to the ambient cabin temp.

Remove the center console facia and center vent. Look at the heater core flap and see if it's missing foam. Next, run the climate control from low temp to high temp while watching the flap. It should move gradually as you adjust temp. Report back with results.