Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #1

ABS off and PSM light on after parking for a day, what could it be?

So for a few times now, when I had the car parked for a day or so, and I turn it on, the PSM and ABS off light both come on.

They come on as soon as I release the parking brake. I noticed that the car has to be standing or about a day or so, and sometimes it does appear to happen more if the car is on a hill or there is a lot of moisture and humidity outside. Not sure if that is connected.

From searching the forum, I narrowed it down to possibly the brake switch light that may be bad, or possibly the alternator? But most likely the brake switch light. Where is this and how do I get to it if it is?

Anyone else have any idea what it could be if not that?

rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #2

Hi

This happened to me about a year ago,

ABS and PSM both had the same symptoms, after about a month the lights stayed on permanently. Turned out the ABS module just failed ??XX?? They say this is very rare.

Porsche quotes something like over 2000€ to replace the part, I ended up buying one on ebay from a wreck (lots available, but you need the correct part number, there are a few), It was under 150€ and the stealership charged about 100€(1hour work) to replace it.

All was then good, no problems since.

Cheers, steven.

Past Cars
2006 MB C180k
2005 Peugeot 306
1980 928
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS
smagerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #3

a little update - I suspected it was the brake light switch, and I was right. I ordered a new one from Pelican Parts.

Incidentally, I did not even install it - all I did was make sure the original switch was really pushed in good, and sort of moved it around a bit. That seems to have worked, I have not gotten the light on since, and if I do, I'll have the new switch ready.

Here's basically how I knew it was the switch: Light came on. I touched the switch, and then the light would come on right away, like never before. Then I touched the switch again, and made sure it was well seated. Light never came on again.

rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote