986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Checking oil level. (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42843)

Meir 01-19-2013 01:31 PM

Checking oil level.

According to the owners manual, the amount of oil needed for an oil change is 8.75 liter, including oil filter.
So in my last oil change I started with 8 liters, and kept adding up.
Using the cluster oil level display, I turn the ignition on and wait for the timer to count down. The display shows two lines above the minimum.
If I check the oil level with the engine cold, it gets to the top.
Same thing with the dipstick.
My first question is, what is the correct way to check the level? Hot or cold?
I know the manual say "operating temperature" but I already have 9.25 liter in it, and measuring based on the timer, shows I need another liter.
Q2: I did replaced the IMSB, and remove the oil cooler and the oil sump cover.
So the engine "lost" more oil then in a regular oil change. Dose anyone know if that should make a difference?
Also curios to know what is the amount of oil that goes into a "dry" engine (after a rebuild for example)
Thanks in advance.
Meir.

Joe B 01-19-2013 01:36 PM

I check oil after the engine has sat for a while (not necessarily cold) to let as much oil as possible drain into the oil pan. Otherwise I get a low reading.

thstone 01-19-2013 02:45 PM

IIRC there is about 0.5-0.75 quarts of oil that doesn't get changed as part of the standard oil and filter replacement process.

I check the oil level when the car is warmed up (operating temp) and use the dipstick as the final indicator. I tend to ignore the electronic readout, it seems somewhat variable.

thom4782 01-19-2013 03:12 PM

Meir:

From my reading of your question, the dashboard gauge and dipstick read the same. That's good because if means you don't have a calibration problem with the dashboard gauge.

There are a lot of opinions out there on what's the best way to check the oil level. From the reading I've done, there are two ways that are reasonably reliable. Both require that the car be on level ground.

Method 1: Check the level with the dash gauge or dipstick with the engine cold.

Method 2: If the engine has just been running, wait 10 minutes or longer to give the oil a chance to drain back into the sump. Then check with the dipstick. The dash gauge may or may not provide a reading. On mine, the dash guage won't take a reading immediately after the engine runs because it's waiting for the oil to drain into the sump.

I don't know why 9.25 liters isn't sufficient to show the oil as full. I'd guess it may be some of oil is in the oil cooler and its lines but I'm not sure. I'd only expect this to happen if you've run the engine after the initial fill. But it's just a guess. I don't think the IMSB and RMS replacement would cause the engine oil to take more oil at the initial fill.

Thom

Meir 01-19-2013 05:38 PM

thanks guys.
ill have it checked tomorrow with the 10 minutes waiting time.
the thing that throw me off, is the timer on the digital gauge.
after a 20 minutes drive, and engine temp at the 180, the timer runs for 40 -30 seconds. doesn't make sense to me that most of the oil will be in the sump after 30 sec :confused:
ill stick with the deep stick

thanks again.
Meir.

tonycarreon 01-19-2013 05:56 PM

what i've found, on getting the most accurate reading:

1. make sure the car is level (not just front to back, but side to side as well)
2. check after it's had a few minutes to start to cool off.

keep in mind that the short countdown timer is a "quick" reading. after filling the gas tank, it'll take a "longer" reading. i've seen the time get up to 5 minutes.

thom4782 01-19-2013 07:12 PM

I'd provide a reference if I could remember where I read the following. The timer uses a 1 minute countdown when the engine is cold or after 10 minutes have passed after a warm engine is shut off. If the engine is warm and is less than 10 minutes after it's been shut off, the timer sets a much longer count down period to allow the oil to drain into the sump. In my car, the 'long' count down starts at 60 minutes if I turn the ignition back on right after shut down.

PS: my owner's manual provides conflicting information. It says the short (< 1 minute) count down takes place when the engine is cold OR when the engine is at operating temperature. This latter condition isn't one I've noticed, but I'll check tomorrow. The manual goes on to say that it will automatically check the oil level during refueling if the engine is at operating temperature, the ignition is off during refueling and the refueling takes less than 15 minutes.

Meir 01-19-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom4782 (Post 324342)
I'd provide a reference if I could remember where I read the following. The timer uses a 1 minute countdown when the engine is cold or after 10 minutes have passed after a warm engine is shut off. If the engine is warm and is less than 10 minutes after it's been shut off, the timer sets a much longer count down period to allow the oil to drain into the sump. In my car, the 'long' count down starts at 60 minutes if I turn the ignition back on right after shut down.

that's exactly what i did.
as soon as i got home from work, i turned the ignition off, and then back on.
the temp was showing at 180, and the timer started at 40 seconds (more or less).
ill have a look at it again just to make sure.
thanks guys.

san rensho 01-20-2013 05:41 AM

The manual says to check the oil at full operating temperature after waiting a few minutes after turning off the motor. When I do this and then let the car sit overnight, the oil level the next morning will usually be one segment higher on the dash guage than when when I checked it the night before.

By the way, I get almost 9.5 quarts in my car after an oil change with a long drain, so you should be ok.

Homeboy981 01-20-2013 06:50 AM

@Meir,

Someone should know how much these will hold from DRY (or doing an IMS change).

Didn't you drain a bunch of oil in the IMS replacement process? Didn't approximately a quart (or more) come out after removal of the IMS? And this is your first time to check since then...

You should be O.K., it looked like there was a lot on the floor of your garage! :D

I will catch it when I do mine and let you know!
Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 324306)
According to the owners manual, the amount of oil needed for an oil change is 8.75 liter, including oil filter.
So in my last oil change I started with 8 liters, and kept adding up.
….
Also curios to know what is the amount of oil that goes into a "dry" engine (after a rebuild for example)
Thanks in advance.
Meir.

tonycarreon 01-20-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom4782 (Post 324342)
I'd provide a reference if I could remember where I read the following. The timer uses a 1 minute countdown when the engine is cold or after 10 minutes have passed after a warm engine...

well that makes a lot more sense than my stupid "quick" and "longer" reading! now i get it. i'm slow

thom4782 01-20-2013 04:31 PM

Follow-up on my last note...

I checked more closely exactly how my dashboard oil level works. If the engine is cold, the countdown is 30 seconds. If the engine is up to operating temperature, the count down is 5 minutes when I turn the ignition back on immediately after engine shut off. If I wait several minutes after shut off and then turn the ignition on, the countdown is again 30 seconds.