Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #1

Price check

Anybody have an idea as to a fair asking price for a 2000 Boxster S, 6-speed? I bought it new, 63k mi., no mechanical issues, garaged.

George in Plano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by George in Plano View Post
Anybody have an idea as to a fair asking price for a 2000 Boxster S, 6-speed? I bought it new, 63k mi., no mechanical issues, garaged.
Litronics? 18" wheels? (these are very expensive upgrades if done aftermarket).
original clutch? original shocks?
any known trouble spots addressed (AOS, coolant tank, water pump)?
Condition of the plastic window?
Miles on current tires?

The more of these things are in your favor the firmer your ground.
There are many Boxsters with similar mileage and have not had much major maintenance performed. The next owner will have to address these issues unless he plans to be out of the car in less than two years/20K miles. Althought I couldn't escape major maintenance after hitting 69K miles.
Cost me about $8-$10K between the clutch/ims/rms/boots, AOS, coolant tank, shocks/ca's, cats, starter, alternator and a few (not many) upgrades.

I think there's a somewhat similar car (with ~70K+ miles) on Pelican's classified for $13,500 with no takers yet, reduced from $14K. Although I don't know which options are on the car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-17-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #3

The only work I've needed to have done was replacement of the CV boots and a new starter. Back window looks clear as it was indoors 75% of the time. Michelin Pilot Sports with about 2k on them. The only options I went for were the windscreen and Porsche crests on the wheels. The issues with the car are rock chips in front and hood and trunk pistons pretty much shot. The car has been a weekender and gets a synthetic oil change every 5k. Brake pads changed at 30k. Serpentine belt just recently bought but not installed, although no issues there.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #4

Lets assume you have almost brand new "good brand" tires, the car shows perfectly, you have maintenance records including your 60k, you haven't done an IMS or a clutch, it is winter, no special options. Then around $13k if you want to move it. I sold a 2001 S TIP perfect with brand new PS2 N-rated and lots of records for $13.5k with 58k on the odometer in early August 2 years ago. So that makes mine 1 years younger when I sold it, 4k fewer miles, TIP (which may be a plus or minus depending on the buyer). Plus yours is now a model cycle older since the 981 has come out since then.

Me, I'd look on Craigslist locally and see what the asking prices were always remembering those are asking prices and almost no one sells at asking (I did and there were people waiting in line to buy it).
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #5

Thanks, I think $13,500 is where I'll start. Somebody's going to get a nice car.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by George in Plano View Post
Thanks, I think $13,500 is where I'll start. Somebody's going to get a nice car.
That is probably very true. I know past repairs is not an indicator of how reliable the car will be in the future but it seems that way a lot with a Boxster. I got my 2000 'S' 26 months ago with 51k miles for $15.9 and I know I over paid some but there were no other Red ones at all in my area, however it's repair history was great and every part I took off and replaced before it could break turns out was in great shape and would have likely gone another 30k miles.

Some buyers will look at a car and say "It's been a great care, should be a great buy" others will say "well not much has been replaced, it's gonna cost me to replace them". Two schools of thought.

Don't be in a rush to sell it. The price won't drop much between now and next summer.

Post some pics for us...and welcome to the forum and good luck!
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
Don't be in a rush to sell it. The price won't drop much between now and next summer.
I have the opposite feeling. The 981 will push down 987 prices.
If a few extra grand will get you into an early987 vs. opting for a 986 then I don't see how 986 prices hold over the next 12 months.

I think the opposite will be true for 997 Carreras. The 991 has been priced so much higher, particular the S model which is well over $120K. That will push up demand for 997's as people opt out of what will surely be steep 991 depreciation in favor of mint 997's. Which in turn will drive down 996 Carrera prices which are already down to $10K in some cases.
Point is first gen water-cooled Porsches will need a really compelling reason to sell ie. very very low miles or lots of upkeep and upgrading if getting into the next generation of Porsche is not too big a stretch. Sure some have limited budgets and can't make the stretch but those buyers don't look at Porsche to begin with for fear of maintenance costs. Chances are if they can afford a 986 then they can afford an older 987.
If I were selling, I'd be doing so at the first sign of spring.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-17-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #8

Garage
George,
I didn't see this thread before I posted in the For Sale area. I saw your ad so I figured I would share, hope you don't mind, but it looks like a great car! If it had been for sale last spring/summer when I was looking, it would have been sold! Good luck, I am sure it will sell fast!
Bruce

http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-sale-wanted/42812-2000-ocean-blue-s.html#post324063
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I have the opposite feeling. The 981 will push down 987 prices.
If a few extra grand will get you into an early987 vs. opting for a 986 then I don't see how 986 prices hold over the next 12 months.

I think the opposite will be true for 997 Carreras. The 991 has been priced so much higher, particular the S model which is well over $120K. That will push up demand for 997's as people opt out of what will surely be steep 991 depreciation in favor of mint 997's. Which in turn will drive down 996 Carrera prices which are already down to $10K in some cases.
Point is first gen water-cooled Porsches will need a really compelling reason to sell ie. very very low miles or lots of upkeep and upgrading if getting into the next generation of Porsche is not too big a stretch. Sure some have limited budgets and can't make the stretch but those buyers don't look at Porsche to begin with for fear of maintenance costs. Chances are if they can afford a 986 then they can afford an older 987.
If I were selling, I'd be doing so at the first sign of spring.
I can't totally disagree I've had the same thoughts. There are also a lot of new 981 over $75k that I think are going to become harder to sell. It will be interesting to see if sales continue high. I guess my thought was $13.5k is starting to get pretty low, I'm just wondering how much a well maintained 'S' can drop...especially with the population shrinking with all the IMS failures .
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
George,
I didn't see this thread before I posted in the For Sale area. I saw your ad so I figured I would share, hope you don't mind, but it looks like a great car! If it had been for sale last spring/summer when I was looking, it would have been sold! Good luck, I am sure it will sell fast!
Bruce

http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-sale-wanted/42812-2000-ocean-blue-s.html#post324063
Yeah, Bruce, that's the one...and it's gone! I had two people email me last night and the first guy that saw it offered $13,750 if we would do the deal then, so I said yes. Even at that, I think I could have gotten more. The car had absolutely no squeaks and ran great; I'm already missing it.

If I were in the market for another, I'd definitely pass on a new one and look hard for one in a condition just like mine. I did a little back of the napkin figuring and came up with this: $55k new/13.75 used=25% of new for 100% of the performance of a new non S Boxster. Invest in an IMS solution and you're good to go.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #11

Garage
Congrats! That was a very nice car. I passed it on to a friend of mine but he wasn't quick enough.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #12

If your friend wants to come to Raleigh there is a one owner here with a few more miles:

2001 Boxster S

It has been for sale for a good while; but when I called them back when it first was listed they would not budge on the price at all, and they would not let me take it to the shop in Durham (40 minutes away) for a PPI; instead directing me to a closer local shop, so I never even went down to take a look. That has been a while and they have dropped it by $1,000 already. It also has no service history available, which some folks have said is out of character for a well loved one owner Porsche.

Typing this all has made me remember why I never went to check it out even though it was exactly the colors and style I wanted...

If your friend keeps looking he will find the right one. I passed on several before settling on the one that I have now.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #13

^ I guess Boxster prices are holding up better than I thought.
$14K for an 80K'er with no Litronics, no 18" wheels, very bare bones interior and probably in need of a front end respray with that sort of mileage... I'm guessing no major maintenance either (probably at least $5K in work to get to 100K miles).

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-18-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #14

Am I the only one that uses kbb.com (Kelley blue book) and Edmunds.com to price cars? They are pretty accurate, IMHO . . .

Congrats on the quick sale!