Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #1

Michelin sport cup tires

I bought a set of Michelin sport cup tires a few months ago because I always believe good tires and brakes are the two most important investments for a car. It is more important to stop fast than go fast. I do not race and don't "burn rubber". 3500 miles later mostly commuting to work, and they are shot. According to the tire shop Michelin's response was because they are "racing" tires we won't do anything for you. The tire shop is offering to make an adjustment. We will see what that is. To put into perspective, the last tires I had were Pilot Sport and they lasted over two years.

opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #2

that does suck, but it's there in their warranty / limitations:

- DOT-approved competition tires (e.g., MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport Cup tires) are excluded from any mileage warranty.

though the product page does not make that clear. from the product page:

* Split fitments - If your vehicle has tires of different sizes on the front versus the rear axles, your tires cannot be rotated as recommended. Therefore, the mileage warranty on each rear tire will cover half the number of miles as the standard mileage warranty for that particular tire line.
ZP (Zero Pressure) tires - The maximum mileage warranty for ZP tires is 30,000 miles.

Standard Limited Warranty
(All Michelin® Tires)
All Michelin® tires have a Standard Manufacturer's Limited Warranty, which covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, or for 6 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first. See warranty for details
Old 01-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #3

Yes, it does suck. I have 4 vehicle's all with Michelin's. So much for customer loyalty.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #4

Sorry but I really don't understand the problem at all. These are tires with a UTOQ rating of below 100. This alone would mean that they will last maybe 3000 ~ 5000 miles. Also why would anyone commute on race tires? If they don't get up to heat they grip worse than $50 tires out of China. When I drive to the track on race tires I am always extremely careful as I know my braking will be longer as on normal street tires.

I don't get it, that's the same as commuting to work in a dragster and then complaining about the lousy gas mileage or to put Pagid Yellow or Orange race pads in the calipers to commute. It just doesn't make any sense.
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car

Last edited by ChrisZang; 01-05-2013 at 09:10 AM.
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Carnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
Sorry but I really don't understand the problem at all. These are tires with a UTOQ rating of below 100. This alone would mean that they will last maybe 3000 ~ 5000 miles. Also why would anyone commute on race tires? If they don't get up to heat they grip worse than $50 tires out of China. When I drive to the track on race tires I am always extremely careful as I know my braking will be longer as on normal street tires.

I don't get it, that's the same as commuting to work in a dragster and then complaining about the lousy gas mileage or to put Pagid Yellow or Orange race pads in the calipers to commute. It just doesn't make any sense.
^^^
This!

Sorry but true.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #6

Lesson learned. The tires actually griped very well. I am a redneck and I probably would drive dragster to work if I had one.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #7

Garage
This is probably a little to late for you, but this tire only has a 100 wear rating. It is classed as a track tire. The only people I know running these are using them in DE and autocross. If you read around the site you would see that. There are a lot of tire references. Tire rated 200 and lower won't last over about 10000 mile on a Porsche they have higher than average camber and can't be rotated due to front rear size variation. I run similar tire on track If I drive more than 25 miles to the event. I trailer the car.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #8

Yeah, you should have bought the Pilot Super Sports, or if they're not available in your size, PS2's.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #9

3,500 miles on Cups? That's pretty good.

Go to Super Sports or PS2's if you want to stay in the Michelin family. Great tires. I can get 20,000 (s)miles out of the rears on my Boxster. Running PS2's. Another great tire is the Yoko AD08's. I have a set on my 993 Turbo. Amazing.

*I don't drive in the rain.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #10

Since I am such a "good" customer (4 cars w Michelins) they are going to give a deal on Super Sports. As I said, lesson learned.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

If you drive it like you stole it, you still may not see 10K miles out of a set of Super Sports. The most I ever got out of a set of PS2's was 6K miles. Long lasting AND high grip tires are a bit contradictory (but driving style can make a huge difference).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
If you drive it like you stole it, you still may not see 10K miles out of a set of Super Sports. The most I ever got out of a set of PS2's was 6K miles. Long lasting AND high grip tires are a bit contradictory (but driving style can make a huge difference).
treadlife for SS's is 15k. just saying...

i got around 12 on my SO2-As.

over 25k on the HTR ziii (rear) though i wouldn't suggest them to anyone else.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 01-05-2013 at 08:05 PM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
treadlife for SS's is 15k. just saying...

i got around 12 on my SO2-As.

over 25k on the HTR ziii (rear) though i wouldn't suggest them to anyone else.
Good to hear that the SS's have a better life than the older PS2's. Good grip + longer lasting is a win-win.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus69 View Post
Lesson learned. The tires actually griped very well. I am a redneck and I probably would drive dragster to work if I had one.
You are an awesome sport opus! It is ok to drive the dragster to work, just don't ******************** about it

I won't mention too much about the Cup tires since others have already, but you are actually lucky to have gotten 3000 miles out of them.:dance:

06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote