Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Kiritsugu

Garage
So I've been thinking about those pesky Headlight washer nozzles...

I recently purchased some Silicone molding materials (Rebound 25) and white casting resin (Smoothcast 305). Around the same time, I lost the (second for me) Headlight washer fluid diverter nozzle. Again.

(I pulled another one out of my Boxster just so we're all on the same page)

I figured that there has to be a better solution than repeatedly buying new washers. So far, After pulling one out of my Box, I've been able to figure this out. I plan on making a mold and casting, at the very least, cosmetic replacement parts, but eventually, I hope to make working replacement parts, if not even make some more creative caps of my own. (I was thinking maybe Porsche badges, Letters, Friends' faces, etc.)

So, before I begin, I was wondering if anyone knows what the circular grooves on top do, and eventually, if anyone would be interested in getting some of these casts. After all, the combined cost of all the casting supplies I mentioned above costs less than a new headlight washer.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #2

Since I once was a tool and pattern maker, I tried to think like a German Engineer, and came up with this; the grooves are for installing and adjusting the nozzles. Just a guess.
My car had three of them missing when I got it. I was just going to make some plugs for the holes, since I never use the headlight washers. I once tried the washers to see if they worked, and all it does is make a soapy mess all over the fenders. If I drove in bad weather, they might come in handy, but I never drive the Boxster in that kind of weather so I could care less if they worked at all.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:14 AM   #3

Garage
I also think they are pretty useless and a pain in the rear. T mounting on one of mine broke loose and it was evidently accidentally actuated ( I have never intentionally used them ) and it pushed off the little triangular plastic trim piece that surrounds it and it was lost. Not wanting to pay the attrocious price for a new one. Anyone have a used left side one for sale? Thinking of just blocking off the hose going to them so they will not be accidently actuated and replace the trim pieces with the much cheaper solid ones. Anyone know a good pkace to plug the headlight washer hose?
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #4

Does anyone actually use these headlight washers?
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #5

no use but.............

I have replaced 2 of just the nozzle.I asked mike at d.c. auto for them more than once to no avail, Then i paid 125.00 for a drivers mat and asked nicely about the nozzles, he said they usually throw them away because of the frequency of front end collisions. Any way he ended up sending me 2 entire assembelys for free. Do note they have a 75 dollar min.
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #6

I'd be interested in getting some of these from you or assisting in the costs to make them. Hell, I'm ok if it's non-working at this point even. I just hate to look at that hole there everytime I view the front end!

Mark
jetrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Kiritsugu

Garage
So I've been working for a couple of days and have managed to reproduce a couple of Nozzles! Here are the casts that I pulled!

As you can see, one of them had a few bubbles in it.
Here's the molding and casting setup that I'm running.

A close up:

I'm considering making more, but for now, they can only be (EDIT: Painted) cosmetic replacements until I order some black plastic.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #8

Great work so far. Even cosmetic units would be good for now!

jetrocker is offline   Reply With Quote