986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Stripped bolt, no access. Need you knowledge (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41912)

wawa 12-31-2012 06:54 AM

Stripped bolt, no access. Need you knowledge

Hi all,
My 2000 Boxster S have 150k km on the clock and I dont think it received good maintenance care before. Spark plug are original so I decieded to change them with spark tube. The problem is on the driver side, the top bolt of the last coil pack is stipped. I am unable to work my way between the frame and the engine from under to have access to the bolt. I can clearly see the bolt from the top but need to remove the air box to have access. And from what I know, you need to remove the driver side intake to remove the air box. So.... I dont feel like dismantling the whole engine just to have access to à stripped coil bolt.

Any help, tips from you guys that have done it all?

Thanks
Chris

Jager 12-31-2012 08:03 AM

Did you remove the wheel and the plastic wheel well cover?

wawa 12-31-2012 08:13 AM

Yes I did. But the one I need access is the top bolt of the coil closest to the rear of the car. It's right in front of the frame. That is why I dont have access to it. Can bearly fit the hex key in.

Later
Chris

Heiko 12-31-2012 09:18 AM

Use a bolt extractor socket that fits overtop of the outter rounded edge... press/turn until it begins to bite into it... the more you turn it the tighter it will grip until is comes out.
Any tool place should sell them....
Something like this - Amazon.com: Irwin Industrial Tools 394002 Bolt-Grip Expansion Set, 5-Piece: Home Improvement

wawa 12-31-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heiko (Post 321537)
Use a bolt extractor socket that fits overtop of the outter rounded edge... press/turn until it begins to bite into it... the more you turn it the tighter it will grip until is comes out.
Any tool place should sell them....
Something like this - Amazon.com: Irwin Industrial Tools 394002 Bolt-Grip Expansion Set, 5-Piece: Home Improvement

I wish it was that easy. The bolt extractor does not fit between the coil and the bolt head. Right now I'm trying to buff 2 flats spot on each side of the bolt head so I can try with a visegrip, but so far the visegrip is always slipping :-(

Later
Chris

Eric G 12-31-2012 10:39 AM

Can you grind a slot for a regular screwdriver? This has gotten me out of several jams like this?

Heiko 12-31-2012 10:39 AM

Soak it good with Penetrating Spray..... vise grips dont work good!
Go buy the small Channel Lock Nut Buster pliers.... they will get it off way better and
they wont lose grip... they'll snap the head off before they slip!
https://www.all-spec.com/products/410.html
Since you are in Quebec... Cndn Tire sells them :-) and I believe they are even onsale this week :-)

Gilles 01-01-2013 10:20 AM

more room..?

in order to have more room to access the damage bolt you may want to consider lowering the engine a bit.

While replacing the front engine mount I noticed that you can lower the engine at least one inch, perhaps a little more.

With the extra room you may be able to access the stripped bolt with a Dremel tool to cut the head of the bolt off (or make a slot on it).... just a suggestion

Good luck

wawa 01-01-2013 10:29 AM

Well I went to Canadian Tire to look for some plier or some other bolt extractor different then mine, and I found a nice dremel kit on 50% sale!

So I cut the bolts that were stripped and was able work them more once the coil pack was out of the way. So now all bolts are out, spark plugs and tubes out and new one in. Still have a little bit of work to do, but everything should be back in working order tonight!

Good way to start 2013 :-)

Later all
Chris

Gilles 01-02-2013 01:25 PM

great news Chris

you are right, a great way to start 2013..!