986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   BRZ vs. Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41808)

truegearhead 12-22-2012 01:58 PM

BRZ vs. Boxster

It seems like every BRZ(new toyota and Scion sports car) review you see compares them to a Boxster or a Caymen since used they are about the same price and add the fact that they all have boxer engines I guess people are even more inclined to compare. Seems like an odd comparison but I'm told that they stack up pretty well. The responsible side of me has been telling me to sell the Box and buy a BRZ (it has a warranty great gas milage I'm almost 30, the girls the box is attracting are all going to kill me etc). Anyways I finally drove one today and I can assure you there is no comparison. Toyota vs. Porsche, I don't know what I was thinking. The chassis on the BRZ is great, maybe the stiffest production car I've ever driven and the seating position was perfect. The motor was hands down the worst thing I've ever heard and even for me at 28 it has far to much racer flare on it. Like the red bolsters on the seats that you can't option off, or the steering wheel. I'm driving a Corvette tomorrow to see how that stacks up but I doubt I'll be replacing the boxster anytime soon.

Kenny Boxster 12-22-2012 03:35 PM

My best friend bought an FRS (essentially BRZ) and I got the opportunity to try it out and go for a ride myself. The seats are supportive, the chassis well built, but the car's power is just lacking. I feel the car is overrated, underpowered, and overpriced. With $26,000, you can buy a hell of a lot more car, such as a gently used 350z, Cayman, m3, etc... However, I do feel the car is appealing because it is perceived as very reliable. I daresay the FRS/BRZ are sporty-economical cars. FRS = Fun, but really slow.

thstone 12-22-2012 04:20 PM

Very similar story as the Miata vs Boxster comparisions. At the end of the day, its hard for a $25K car to truly compete with a $50K car (even if its used). A $25K car just has too many compromises that had to be made to meet the cost target.

brian325is 12-22-2012 04:36 PM

We will have to wait for the inevitable turbo version to come out. AKA WRX

truegearhead 12-22-2012 05:12 PM

The problem with the turbo version is that it has to be around 3,000 more then the base version which puts it at the 30k mark with v8 mustangs and some other serious performance cars.

Skrapmot 12-22-2012 05:44 PM

Depends on what you want, they really are a different class of cars. It's like comparing a used BMW vs an Accord, there is a luxury standard, grace, and purity that is hard to replicate in a cheaper car. There's more than just going fast, it's how good you look doing it.
I would take a used luxury performance car over a new economy sport car any day of the week.

Crono0001 12-22-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truegearhead (Post 320674)
The problem with the turbo version is that it has to be around 3,000 more then the base version which puts it at the 30k mark with v8 mustangs and some other serious performance cars.

Yea, but a turbo BRZ will be able to kill any mustang on the mountain passes.
EDIT: Save the Roush.

jesseborgelt 12-23-2012 08:49 AM

My superficial subconscious would much rather say I drive a Porsche then either a Subaru or a Scion. There is a very good reason a new Boxster costs twice as much as these cars being discussed.

recycledsixtie 12-23-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesseborgelt (Post 320719)
My superficial subconscious would much rather say I drive a Porsche then either a Subaru or a Scion. There is a very good reason a new Boxster costs twice as much as these cars being discussed.

Actually if my Boxster engine blew up I would consider a Subie engine replacement and have the best of both worlds. In the meantime I will keep the revs up and enjoy the Boxster engine.

944boy 12-23-2012 05:16 PM

I have been itching to test drive a BRZ just out of curiosity. The same comparison has been going on for years. Back to the 944/RX7 days. The Porsche has always lost the "value" category. However you do get the benefit of better materials and feel.

Some people only want to buy new cars with factory warranties. That makes the Boxster out of the price range for many people.

However for me I can say for sure that pulling up to the Opera house after the nutcracker to pick up my girlfriend in front of 100's of people felt much better in the Porsche than it would have been in a subaru or scion. :D Conversely I get much more worried when parking in hobo territory overnight.

BrokenLinkage 12-23-2012 11:07 PM

Both are capable cars, with similar performance virtues. But one is beautiful and gives pleasure without even starting it up. One will give a pride of ownership that relates to pedigree and heritage distilled into a refined driving experience, not just numbers or the brief smell of new plastic and leather. One will depreciate very little in the next few years, then will stabilize before perhaps eventually increasing if maintained & enjoyed long enough. If 30 yrs henceforth you make mention of the two in conversation, only one will likely be known to the other party. Apples & figs,different strokes,etc, but a clear choice to me.

johnsimion 12-25-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truegearhead (Post 320639)
It seems like every BRZ(new toyota and Scion sports car) review you see compares them to a Boxster or a Caymen since used they are about the same price and add the fact that they all have boxer engines I guess people are even more inclined to compare. Seems like an odd comparison but I'm told that they stack up pretty well. The responsible side of me has been telling me to sell the Box and buy a BRZ (it has a warranty great gas milage I'm almost 30, the girls the box is attracting are all going to kill me etc). Anyways I finally drove one today and I can assure you there is no comparison. Toyota vs. Porsche, I don't know what I was thinking. The chassis on the BRZ is great, maybe the stiffest production car I've ever driven and the seating position was perfect. The motor was hands down the worst thing I've ever heard and even for me at 28 it has far to much racer flare on it. Like the red bolsters on the seats that you can't option off, or the steering wheel. I'm driving a Corvette tomorrow to see how that stacks up but I doubt I'll be replacing the boxster anytime soon.

For outright driving pleasure, my son's retractable hardtop Miata is way more fun than my Cayman. I just don't "get" the obsession with HP. Sure, my base Cayman is probably twice the car on a racetrack, but it does me no good on the streets and freeways. I cannot accelerate past the first three gears without breaking the speed limit, and there are cops everywhere here. What am I going to do, drag race some teenager in a Mustang GT? Fat chance of that! Not so with the Miata ... so much more "flingable" and feels like driving a go-kart. Also has a sterling rep for reliability and can be serviced without paying an arm and a leg. Then he has that retractable hardtop and that is just great here, so you can have a convertible in summer and the cinders and salt don't ruin your ragtop in the winter. Unfortunately I just can't fit behind the wheel of the Miata no matter how I try.

Perfectlap 12-26-2012 07:26 AM

let me get this straight....

you're not even 30 yet and you're worrying about which women to turn away?

10 years from now you won't believe you were capable of having such thoughts.

Over six million years of human evolution it has been the man's function to be the most attractive option to the opposite sex. This keeps good candidates always on deck and keeps the one your with on her toes and away from the sweat pants and junk food.

As for the Toyota/BRZ. Sounds like a decent daily beater. Which makes the Porsche for fun time all the more enjoyable. Aside from the unecessary pounding it would take, I'm not sure I would want to get to used to driving my Boxster every ay. Even after nearly 10 years I still look forward to lowering the top and speeding down the highway.

stephen wilson 12-26-2012 07:47 AM

I know what you mean Perfect. There have been periods where I DD My Boxster, and while it's great for that task, the familiarity does dull the "special-ness". It's still not a Sunday only car though.

ProjectM96 12-26-2012 12:19 PM

I recently test drove the FR-S/BRZ.

I felt that my Boxster was quicker, faster, handles better, more direct, better balanced, more fun to drive, and sounded better.

The only thing I liked about the Toyobaru was the interior design and back seats for girls. The trunk was disappointing too. It was about the same size as the Boxster's rear trunk.