986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is it just me, or is the 986 Boxster noisy and rattle prone? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41802)

rondocap 12-21-2012 08:28 PM

Is it just me, or is the 986 Boxster noisy and rattle prone?

I've driven a few different Boxsters, 986, including the one I bought.

I noticed that with the roof up, they are all fairly noisy. You still hear some good road noise, and there is a lot of chatter within the car itself - some rattles come from the front dash, some rattles from the top area, etc.

Is this common on Boxsters, or is mine particularly noisy?

Deserion 12-21-2012 08:37 PM

Might be yours, but mine rattles a little too. Mainly when going over harsh bumps it rattles behind the driver's seat in the roof stowage area. And sometimes the center wind deflector. That's really about it.

thstone 12-21-2012 08:53 PM

All of the Boxsters that I've driven or rode in are somewhat noisy and have a few rattles. My solution is to put the top down and keep the rev's up! :D

Nimbus117 12-21-2012 11:03 PM

Mines a 2003 model and was impressed with how quiet & how few rattles there were for a convertible. The hardtop rattled and squeaked a bit but that I found was due to the plastic caps were missing off the lugs that slide into the top of the windscreen.
All my rattles came from the exhaust, lambda probes kept coming undone, heat shield rattles and a missing clamp. Still not entirely sorted but a lot better than when I got it.

pothole 12-22-2012 02:31 AM

I think they all rattle a bit.

Actually, I had a new gen 2 Cayman 2.9 for a week. That rattled a bit too. Unfortunately, the build on all these cars is a bit flimsy. Keeps the weight down, but tends towards rattles.

Just compare how light the doors are on a 986 to an old 911 or a 968.

Vista glass 12-22-2012 04:00 AM

Yes I have rattles also. especially with the top up. fortunately this is a rare circumstance. I secured the mesh inserts, center screen and visor mirror flaps better than OEM to eliminate a lot of noises. Normally the top down,and the wind rushing by mask any other rattles

fatmike 12-22-2012 04:31 AM

top down = no rattles

much quieter with the hardtop too.

ragtops rattle. it is what it is.

/

WhipE350 12-22-2012 04:32 AM

Yup they are noisy especial when the weather is colder. Not a first time date car with the top up.

I have both a 2000 'S' and a 2007 Base and there is a big difference with the tops up. The only common noise they have is the whine of the engine.

The joints in the top you can dry lube and of course it's easy enough to get rid of the wind screen rattles. I'm going to be taking some thin carpet pad and putting in the roof and see if helps (and make sure it doesn't mess with the operation of the top). I also considered insulating the cover over the engine behind the seat. I like exhaust and air intake sound but the whining of the engine right behind gets to be a bit much. This of course is just experimental since I little fiddling with the car anyway.

With the top down (especially in cooler weather again) the wind noise is much worse in the 986 but that's quite alright since I love the open air.

I find with the 986 just put the top down and rev it up...I'm a top down guy, it just feels like a totally different car. There are not rattles to distract from the great handling and performance.

recycledsixtie 12-22-2012 07:35 AM

I have the top up most of the time and I find that it is one of the most rattle free convertibles I have ever had. In the colder weather here the suspension is firmer and I tend to hear more rattles. But it is not bad enough to justify a hardtop.

Flavor 987S 12-22-2012 08:02 AM

After +50,000 miles in 7 driving seasons with the 2006 987S I am VERY impressed with how rock solid the interior has been, with regards to rattles and such.

BrokenLinkage 12-22-2012 08:10 AM

Either I'm deaf or lucky because my 2001S has remarkably few noises for a convertible sports car of its age. About every 6-9 mos I hit the rubber cabin seals with Gummi-Phlege and it is as quiet as a church in there. I do get a little chatter only over steep-edged bumps due to deterioration of the bushings in the rear trailing arms, just waiting for my annoyance to exceed the cost of replacement. Sorry you guys are having so much trouble. Wonder if I would have more rattles had I gone ahead with an aftermarket exhaust?

walt2810 12-22-2012 08:11 AM

I have a My99 with 52k and after 13 years There are some rattles especially top up. Not as much when the top is dropped. For a soft top convertible I guess it comes with the territory. A family member just got a 05 987 and did not hear any rattles while test driving that. Newer, insulated roof, So hope that won't rattle as much as it gets older.

Kenny Boxster 12-22-2012 11:09 AM

The interior seems pretty solid, it's mainly the worn bushings in the suspension that gives the car it's squeaks and rattles when going over bumps I'd say.

Flavor 987S 12-22-2012 11:49 AM

Guys could always try a front strut bace to tighten up stuff in the front and windshield area. Cheap and easy to do. I've used one since very early in my ownership experience. Even get real nice turn-in as a caveat.

teleski 12-22-2012 09:28 PM

Cool. Never heard of Gummi-Phlege before. Sounds like what I need to deal with my squeeking window seals when the car flexes on bumps. Just placed a quick Amazon order to try it out! Thanks BrokenLinkage for the mention.

particlewave 12-22-2012 10:08 PM

No rattles here. Hardly even if any wind noise with the top up.

Idaho Red Rocket 3 12-22-2012 10:44 PM

2K S with 76K miles. Too quiet inside with top up windows closed. No rattles.

dan.oneufer 12-23-2012 04:36 AM

I'm surprised just how noise free my 03 is. Having owned convertibles in the past (MGs & Triumphs), I feel the level of wind/road noise is far less in the Boxster than in the others. As far as mechanical noise, my Saab and Infiniti (neither were convertibles) had way more squeaks and creaks.

It seems nice and tight.

san rensho 12-23-2012 08:38 AM

My 2000 is surprisingly quiet. With the top up I have essentailly no rattles, can't really hear any major road or tire noise over the sound of the engine. Going over big bumps, I get just the slightest cowl shake but no rattles or noises.

The only time I hear noise is when a big 18 wheeler is right next to me then I can hear noise through the top canvas.

BYprodriver 12-23-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster (Post 320618)
The interior seems pretty solid, it's mainly the worn bushings in the suspension that gives the car it's squeaks and rattles when going over bumps I'd say.

I agree with this, + when the engine mount bushing wears lots of things get noisy!