Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #1

leak in middle of car - coolant?

i noticed my passenger side vent was blowing extremely hard for no reason on my short trip home from dinner, approx 2minute drive. parked and left it for 2 hours, return to check on the vent, the engine still felt very warm. So i looked under the car and...

i noticed a leak in the middle of my car, approx under center console area. will try to take a picture sometime later.

there is a hinge kind of part in the middle of the car where it is leaking from.

it is dripping, one drip every 5 sec, put my fingers through the liquid on the ground, does not feel like oil, feels more like water, no smell.

what kind of symptom is this? water pump?

2005 987 Boxster S

Last edited by max_asdf; 09-24-2013 at 07:10 PM.
max_asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #2

please ignore the red circle, the YELLOW circle is the general area where the leak is occuring.

Im not sure if the AC was on? where is the evaporator for the AC, and where is the pool of water usually formed from that. if its AC, why was the side fan blowing so hard.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:44 AM   #3

That is where the HVAC housing drain exits and water drips are perfectly normal after running your car with the air on. To set your rmind at ease, check your coolant level at the window in the trunk (not a fan of removing the expansion tank cap unless necessary) and I suspect that it is fine. Of course, you can also drive the car with the air off and heat on and then check after you park it, as with heat there should be no water draining from condensation.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #4

The yellow circle is the general location where the AC evaporator drain tube exits the car. The evaporator is under the dash maybe left of center inside the heater/AC box. If you pull back the passenger foot well carpet, you can see where the tube comes out of the box and exits the floor. The rear fan comes on to vent hot air from the engine compartment. It cycles on and off depending on engine compartment temperature. The AC condenser (radiator) fans are located behind both front radiators and run at low speed whenever the snowflake button shows on the climate control display
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #5

thanks for the help guys.

in general, do our boxster engines stay warm for an extended time even after such a short drive? Needing the side vent to run at max speed constantly.

AC radiator fans have high and low speed setting correct? is there a way to test this.

Last edited by max_asdf; 09-25-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
soucorp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_asdf View Post

in general, do our boxster engines stay warm for an extended time even after such a short drive? Needing the side vent to run at max speed constantly.

AC radiator fans have high and low speed setting correct? is there a way to test this.
I've notice my engine is warm hours later after a drive. I think its because of the mid engine setup and its all closed up from the top with only the small side vents and bottom to cool it. Heat rises so it gets trapped in the mid section and keeps the car warmer longer in my opinion.
soucorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #7

Yes fans are two speed. You can test them by activating them with a Durametric diagnostic cable. A good independent shop probably also has a diagnostic computer that can test them. Or you can jump fan relay pins. See this thread for directions on how to jump pins. http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/38026-c-fan-speeds.html
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #8

Yes. It takes twice as long to cool down the engine bay as oppose to rear or front engine. The heat from the engine gets trapped above it.

Your engine appears to be very clean and well kept. I suggest watching out for any leak and address it immediately in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_asdf View Post

Last edited by Trey T; 09-25-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote