986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Getting a 2002 Boxster - advice needed! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41706)

rondocap 12-12-2012 05:23 PM

Getting a 2002 Boxster - advice needed!

So I am picking up a 2002 Boxster with about 90k miles. It has a clean carfax, and is in really good condition both inside and out.

I've read some of the possible common issues, but the car seems fine - and the price is good, so if anything comes up It is expected if it's not terribly expensive.

It does have a few minor issues, that I'd like the opinion on from you guys:

1.) The drivers window won't automatically close flush with the roof, you know like when the window goes down upon closing/opening, and then goes back up when closed. You need to hold the door handle to get it to close flush.

Why is this? Is it easy/cheap to fix or indicative of a greater issue?

2.) There is an internal rattle on the passenger's door. It seems like something is loose. Is it hard to open the door and see what it is?

3.) The rear window is sort of foggy/dirty. Is the Porsche cleaner the best thing to use?

Aside from that, it's a great car. I am still wondering if I should just try to find an S model, but the base one will do for now and I can always trade up later. What do you guys think?

Thanks and nice to meet you guys!

Ghostrider 310 12-12-2012 05:35 PM

Welcome Rondo, the windows are designed to lower when you actuate the door handle because when they are up they tuck under the top side lip. After the door is closed they should raise automatically and slide back under the top. It's probably a switch in the door. My 98 had a rattle, opening a door panel isn't too bad depending on your abilities, it's certainly tougher than an oil change. Lastly, the best thing to restore the plastic window IMO, is Plexus.

Jager 12-12-2012 05:57 PM

As Ghost indicated the window issue is most likely the locking/latch mechanism that keeps your door closed, there is a micro switch that fails in these mechanisms. I just replaced mine about a month ago; I had the same problem with my 2001. Takes about an hour to replace but you will need to have triple square bit (look at the latch on your door) and you need to remove the door panel to access it. If you don’t have any experience with working door mechanisms I recommend you take it to a professional.

husker boxster 12-12-2012 06:13 PM

Disconnect the negative battery connection before removing the door card and wait a few minutes. If you don't, the airbag will deploy when unplugged.

rondocap 12-12-2012 07:36 PM

Thank you guys - that is what I figured. They seem like easily fixable issues.

Any other suggestions or tips for a new Boxster owner?

yogafire 12-12-2012 08:51 PM

Jager, what's the part number? Any recommendations on where to get it?

teleski 12-12-2012 08:57 PM

The other really good product for the plastic window is Novus. In addition to the cleaner they have two polishing compounds. You can buy the set of three together.

rondocap 12-12-2012 09:09 PM

Thanks guys - I searched on how to make the headlight reflector clear vs amber.

What's the consensus on the easiest, cheapest and near oem way to clear them up? Can that amber part be replaced with a 2003 without needing a headlight assembly?

Sorry for the variation in questions, just getting acquainted!

SF-Rockster 12-13-2012 11:25 AM

I had the same issue with my car. What I did was get a bottle of MAF cleaner and sprayed the micro switches that we're in the door. With door open I heald the door handle and lifted up and down while spraying. It worked for me and it's been a year now with no problems.
Hope that helps

jacabean 12-13-2012 03:12 PM

nice tip i will keep that in mind
Quote:

Originally Posted by SF-Rockster (Post 319703)
I had the same issue with my car. What I did was get a bottle of MAF cleaner and sprayed the micro switches that we're in the door. With door open I heald the door handle and lifted up and down while spraying. It worked for me and it's been a year now with no problems.
Hope that helps

t2-bxtrs 12-13-2012 03:59 PM

2002 Boxster

Going through the issues you have with this 2002 Boxster with 90K, seems to me like this is big trouble lurking under all these minor issues... i would recommend you bring the car for a complete PPi or have a trusted technician go through the whole mechanicals of the car..
I'm not sure what kind of $$ their asking for... if you really plan on owning an "S" i would recommend just saving your hard earned $$ and save a bit more for the "S" with hopefully no issues like doors/windows etc.. just goes to show that this car was not really well cared for or maintanined in the first place..
I would not waste my time and money on this... there's plenty of used Boxster's available..
just my 2 cents. good luck.. t2

Jager 12-13-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogafire (Post 319653)
Jager, what's the part number? Any recommendations on where to get it?

Here is a link to Pelican Parts showing the lock:
Porsche Boxster 97-04 - Panels & Doors - Page 1

It looks like this:
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1355458445.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1355458464.jpg

You can see some of the part number on the box.

MConte05 12-14-2012 05:34 AM

Play with the lock mechanism in the door. If you push/pull the levers and it causes the door to go down, then just need to adjust the striker pad on the body so that it will fully engage the mechanism. Or else fish through the door panel. I found my outside door handle switch had actually become unplugged. Was able to plug it back in without removing the actual door lock mechanism. Then just adjusted my striker pad and now my door acts perfect.

As for the rear window. Just give it a good cleaning both inside and out. I was amazed at how much dust/dirt got accumulated on the inside. Just remove the windstop then clean the inside a few times with a clean cloth. Looks good as new.

I have a base model, and enjoy it. The lower cost is nice too. I am sure eventually I will want an S, but I think I'd want an 05 or newer S for the price. Right now the 02 S's are just a bit overpriced for what I was willing to pay. Really depends on what you ultimately intend on doing with the car. For me, it is just a daily driver. I have a fully caged race car that I use for racing, so I don't do autocross or track days with the Boxster. Because of that, the extra power or the 6-speed wasn't a big deal to me, and went with the cheaper base model without feeling buyers remorse.

Perfectlap 12-14-2012 07:24 AM

Did you have pre purchase inspection done? This is the only real way to determine whether you got a good price or not. The best thing for a seller is for the buyer not to do the PPI because then the asking price automatically defaults to the market price for that car's year/mileage/options. Even if there's a slight discount to the asking price it still may not be a good price because of repairs that will be needed that aren't factored into the sale price.

Put it this way, I had my car looked over before I began major maintenance at around 70K miles. First by the dealer and then by my indy mechanic who is about as experienced on all things Porsche as you will find. Also fixes Rolls Royce and Bentley and many track cars.
Of the $12K in work that was needed I'd say well over half were things that would not have been caught by a simple visual inspection. Things such as known weakpoints (AOS, coolant tank, water pump), things that are hard to see without a tear down burnt flywheel, torn axle boots, control arms shot and not just a case of worn shocks. And other parts that just go after nearly ten years of winter driving (cat$, starter, alternator, MAF/O2's). Now toss in rotors,pads, tires, etc. as typical wear and tare that can run an easy $1500. All before addressing cosmetics like body work and soft top repair which if done properly are expensive too.

point is you have to figure out all the likely repairs and add to that the unexpected stuff that most should budget for. The asking price for a typical Porsche is extremely misleading. Cost of entry is not the only thing you'll be paying. You could have a couple of back to back repairs that run an easy 35% of the car's selling price and it wouldn't be unheard of. Neither would it be the end of the to do list. Do the PPI and use it to negotiate a price reduction or simply know what you're getting into. Just like a house buyer does.

rondocap 12-14-2012 08:12 AM

Thanks guys. It has a pretty good maintenance history, with maintenance being done regularly and recently at a Porsche dealership.

Aside from the door issue, the car is in fantastic condition and drives excellently, the paint also looks brand new - so it was well taken care of.

I've owned a few high end cars out of warranty, so I am well aware of the risks associated with them - but hopefully this one is a good one. You can never know without a very thorough inspection, and even then - who knows!

rondocap 12-15-2012 06:48 PM

Hey guys, change of plans - not getting the 2002 Boxster.

I saw a 2003 Boxster that I liked, looks great. Two issues I could use help on:

1.) The brakes felt a bit weak, felt a bit hard and would take a good amount of force to really stop. Is it possible they are going bad, or do Porsche Boxster base brakes just act weakly like this? I'm comparing to my 335i...

2.) It's a tiptronic, not a manual like I hoped...but the car is really nice and within my price range.

I know there are so many threads on this, but will I really regret the tiptronic? It felt OK and fairly fun.

BruceH 12-15-2012 07:55 PM

1. The brakes on these cars are awesome. That doesn't sound right.
2. When I spoke with my mechanic when I was looking, he advised against the Tiptronic because when they go, it can be expensive. Some one on here just had his tip go and it wasn't cheap. Do a search on here and you should find it. Me personally, I like the manual. I gave the tip some thought, but this car just begs for manual IMO.

I am no expert, just my .02 cents. Keep in mind, there are lots of these cars out there. Make sure you get a PPI.

Edit: here's the Tiptronic post:
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/41699-tiptronic-toast.html

rondocap 12-15-2012 08:24 PM

Yeah, maybe the brakes are fading a bit - it definitely surprised me how long it took to stop.

What's the best way to go about getting a PPI? Can I just ask the dealer if I can bring the car to a Porsche dealership to get inspected? Or do I have to find a local mechanic?

vscntkP 12-15-2012 10:11 PM

Chuc cuoi tuan vui ve va hanh phuc
Dung quen tiep tuc dong gop cho dien dan cua chung ta nhe
Rat mong cac bai viet thu vi hon cua cac ban

1olddude 12-16-2012 06:49 AM

Spammed again?