Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #1

Shocks....

Hi all,

I have been experiencing some banging noise from the rear left of my Boxster. Today I had the time to remove the rear left wheel and check for anything loose.... found nothing. With the wheel on and the car jacked up, I can easily 'hop' the wheel up, and when it comes back down, I hear the exact same noise I hear when driving. Does that mean the shocks are gone? When I test them (push the car down) with the car resting on the wheelsthey come back up immediately with no hopping.

rene525d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Ex Esso kid

I need a better description than "hopping" the wheel. Regarding the second thing you said if you compress a fender and the car comes right back up quickly and without resistance that is a sign the shock is shot. With the car in the air if there is play when you rock the wheel top to bottom or side to side, that is not a shock but perhaps a wheel bearing.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #3

What I mean in the first part is that using minimal force with the car jacked up, i can lift the wheel and when I let go, I hear the same banging noise. There is no play sideways.

As for part 2, I mean that the car comes back up and stays in that position after compressing and let go. If i recall correctly if a shock is shot, it should rebound at least one time.

UPDATE: I put on my spare wheel and went for a ride, and even though the noise is still there, its not that often.
rene525d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Ex Esso kid

That update could be misleading, besides reduction is not resolution. Although they can, most of the dead shocks I changed were not noisy just lost their damper ability, I'm inclined to think it's something else.

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote