986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Junk in the Front Bumper Openings... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4132)

sdkkv 11-01-2005 04:27 PM

Junk in the Front Bumper Openings...

This past weekend I was looking on eBay and saw someone selling the "Mesh" inserts for the stock front bumper. I thought they looked cool but didn't really see a purpose for them. That was until I took a flashlight and looked into mine !!! Holy SNIKES !!! About 25% of both radiators was blocked by debris (leaves, bugs, cigarette butts, dirt, rocks, condom, etc...). I ended up taking off the bumper cover and giving it a good cleaning. The temp gauge dropped about an 1/8th of an inch to just over 180'ish.

Check yours out !!!

deliriousga 11-01-2005 04:37 PM

I have the mesh covers. They work beautifully. My PO had to replace an A/C condensor from a rock that punched a hole in it so he put them on. :eek:

Nice, cheap protection.

threpwood 11-02-2005 05:52 AM

Is the mesh cover hard to install? I mean, will it require taking off the bumper, sliding under the car etc?

RandallNeighbour 11-02-2005 08:07 AM

You found a condom in your front bumper???? Geez, where do you drive your boxster anyway, through whorehouses? :)

The mesh grills seem to impede airflow to me. I just take my home vacuum cleaner's crevice tool and duct tape it to my shop vac (more power) and clean out both of them from time to time.

Then I shoot a stream of water through the radiators to clean the dirt and dust out of them.

jimmer 11-02-2005 09:39 AM

Wotcha from the UK!

I bought a 2001 S in July, and last month whilst washing it and getting familiar with the air-intakes on the front, I noticed a bird foot! After a bit of work, I eventually found half a bird of prey (only a small kestrel I think).

It was nicely wedged up one corner and seems to have been cut in half by the bumper - wonder where the rest went! It seemed pretty perished and I reckon it had been there for a year or more.

I didn't hit it obviously, and the previous owner claimed no-knowledge of it. All clean now, but the plastic grill is hanging on by one end on one side. Mesh here we come I think! Can you fit it without removing the bumper?

James

RandallNeighbour 11-02-2005 10:16 AM

Jimmer, reading your post was a hoot. The way Brits word things to me is absolutely entertaining. Keep it up!

The mesh just fits right over the horizontal plastic pieces in the air holes you have now. No need to remove your front bumper to install it or come up from behind it.

Now how those mesh inserts stay in place is a question for someone else.

98Boxster98 11-02-2005 12:22 PM

There are at least some mesh kits that don't require removal of the front bumper cover:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4007&pid=19601&st=0&#

mccarrm 11-02-2005 01:05 PM

With regards to ease of installation,,,it required a phillips screw driver and about 10 minutes. Most of the time is spent aligning them!
They do not impead the flow of air!!! There is more than enough surface area to allow air to flow easily through.
I discovered the same sorts of material when I cleaned my radiator as well. Bird feathers, paper, cig. butts, etc.
I would do this mod again in a heart beat. One rock into the condenser and you will be wondering why you didn't!!!

Mike

jimmer 11-03-2005 09:31 AM

Wotcha people over the pond!

Its good you may not have to remove the bumper, looks like I will be getting even more familiar with my front air intakes!

Thanks for the help :)

James