986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Visor airbag stickers (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4125)

TerryB 11-01-2005 04:36 AM

Visor airbag stickers

I really hate the red/yellow stickers on the visor warning about the airbags. I've read several threads about removing or even painting them. I'd rather not go that route. I would like a solution that is easier and possibly reversible if it doesnt end up looking that good.
I've read about black stickers that cover the uglies up but I haven't seen them for sale anywhere.
Does anybody have experience with covering them up with black stickers?
And where can they be purchased?

Rail26 11-01-2005 05:29 AM

I bought the stickers you are talking about from ebay...I think they are around $12.

bmussatti 11-01-2005 05:43 AM

Rail26, how do the black stickers look? Thanks!

Rail26 11-01-2005 05:45 AM

They look ok. If you look close you can see the seam between the sticker and the visor, but it really isn't that noticeable. I just wish they didn't put the dang stickers on there...thanks a lot lawyers.

TerryB 11-01-2005 05:50 AM

Rail26
The stickers on Ebay cover the sunvisor vanity flaps and I will get those.
Are there any available that cover the sticker on the other side of the visor?

MNBoxster 11-01-2005 08:15 AM

Hi,

With some tweezers and some Isopronanol (isopropyl alcohol), you can remove the stickers without a trace. Take a rag and drench it with Isopropanol, then hold it against the sticker (especially one edge) for a minute or so. Then carefully peel back the sticker (a fingernail works well here) and while holding it with the tweezers, keep dabbing the exposed edge with the rag and pulling gently. Takes a couple minutes and the sticker will be free. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

bmussatti 11-01-2005 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

With some tweezers and some Isopronanol (isopropyl alcohol), you can remove the stickers without a trace. Take a rag and drench it with Isopropanol, then hold it against the sticker (especially one edge) for a minute or so. Then carefully peel back the sticker (a fingernail works well here) and while holding it with the tweezers, keep dabbing the exposed edge with the rag and pulling gently. Takes a couple minutes and the sticker will be free. Hope this helps...

Jim, do you have to remove them from the car?

SoCal 11-01-2005 08:39 AM

I read somewhere that you can order the sunvisors from a Mexico dealership, and they do not have any airbag stickers.

Edit: No personal information, but here is a link to Porsche Mexico in case someone wants to locate a dealer and inquire about shipping to the US:

Porsche de Mexico

SoCal 11-01-2005 08:43 AM

Quote:

Hi,

Are you sure this solution applies to new 987s?

The warning labels don't look like stickers with edges, they look like they are imprinted onto the visor somehow.

70Sixter 11-01-2005 09:45 AM

I did the same with acetone. Worked on both sides or visors.

mike

MNBoxster 11-01-2005 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal
Are you sure this solution applies to new 987s?

The warning labels don't look like stickers with edges, they look like they are imprinted onto the visor somehow.

Hi,

Nope, they're stickers, but very thin and you can't readily see a seam, but it's there...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

PS Acetone not recommended, it can eat the plastic.

Perfectlap 11-01-2005 10:38 AM

if you plan to sell your car at some point you might want to keep them. A future owner with kids might appreciate the reminder.

70Sixter 11-01-2005 10:39 AM

Quote:

Hi,

Nope, they're stickers, but very thin and you can't readily see a seam, but it's there...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

PS Acetone not recommended, it can eat the plastic.

Right. You would want to remove the visors to keep acetone off the plastic bushings. Wish I'd known alcohol would have done same thing!

Mike

Rail26 11-02-2005 03:39 PM

70sixer...did you get your screen name from "Great Outdoors" with John Candy?

bmussatti 02-21-2006 04:48 PM

Has anyone successfully removed the visor stickers with the isopropyl alcohol on the 987??

MNBoxster 02-21-2006 08:11 PM

Hi,

I'd just buy the Cover-ups, they are nearly invisible and there could be potential liability in removing them and either having an accident related injury to your Passenger, or in a future sale...

denverpete 03-02-2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

Hi,

I'd just buy the Cover-ups, they are nearly invisible and there could be potential liability in removing them and either having an accident related injury to your Passenger, or in a future sale...

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing. I mean, my first thought is, "That could be a liability issue". That's seriously messed up! I'm not a lawyer - but it's pretty darn indicative of the litigation problems in this country.

eslai 03-02-2006 04:31 PM

I've got the cover ups on mine and they work well. They look a little bit bumpy after sitting outside in hot weather, but the texture isn't a bad match.