Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2005, 04:37 PM   #1

Question Red Clip? Help please

Hey
Can someone tell me, I am interested in buying the speedster kit which is coming with the red clip. This red clip thingy that stops the soft top from being activated when the kit is on also activates the infered security? I have a 1999 model Boxster and I live in Australia. Does the clip activate this infered security on all boxster or does your boxster need to have it installed as a factory extra? or do they all come with it stock?

Any info would be grateful
CHASP

CHASP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:36 PM   #2

Not to bogart this post, but where can you get these clips?
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASP
Hey
Can someone tell me, I am interested in buying the speedster kit which is coming with the red clip. This red clip thingy that stops the soft top from being activated when the kit is on also activates the infered security? I have a 1999 model Boxster and I live in Australia. Does the clip activate this infered security on all boxster or does your boxster need to have it installed as a factory extra? or do they all come with it stock?

Any info would be grateful
CHASP
At least on MY04 the security system is standard. The infrared monitoring is only active when the top is up. The clip will make the system think the top is up when it is down.
gRed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #4

I got mine at http://suncoastporsche.com/ for $4.00 (has to be the cheapest thing ever made for a porsche!)

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=98650498600&Category_Code=POTEBXIN

Frank
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:00 PM   #5

Hey
So when you have the top up, will the infered security work even without the red clip? I have a funny feeling its a factory extra anyone know tho?
Old 10-26-2005, 07:03 PM   #6

Hi,

Yes, the Red Clip will activate the IR Motion Sensor with the Top Down. This is what I use, put side windows Up and Top down - better than some guy slashing the Top to take something from inside. Find it here: http://store.yahoo.com/eagleday/inpr1.html
Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

PS No Factory xtra, it's standard and behind the Dark Red Oval Trim pieces on either side of the Interior Light on the Windshield Header. Hope this helps...
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:17 PM   #7

Hey
So it will still work even tho my boxster never came with a factory alarm? if so how can you get it to work with out the red clip and the soft top up? and how to test its working?

CHASP
Old 10-27-2005, 06:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASP
Hey
So it will still work even tho my boxster never came with a factory alarm? if so how can you get it to work with out the red clip and the soft top up? and how to test its working?

CHASP
No,

You need to have the Factory Alarm for it to work. It's most likely there, but without the Control unit for the Alarm, it's probably inactive.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:03 AM   #9
bmussatti

As a side note, the guys at Eagleday (Ron- 954-349-3037) will price match stuff vs. Suncoast.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:14 AM   #10

Speed Yellow Clip anyone?

Is it possible to find the Red Clip in any other color? I think it would be really good, if we will have matching colors with our car.

Well, I guess you can paint it. If that is the case, it would be good to know what kind of paint to use and procedure to follow.

Thanks,
bolkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:45 AM   #11
bmussatti

Bolkar, don't forget, the red color also serves as a warning/alet not to to fuc$ with the car.

I have seen on some web-site, don't remember the name, and some dude just colored it in with a black Sharpee...might have been Torell Owens.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:30 PM   #12

So since I do not have the factory alarm system my motion sensor will not work. I am guessing its not cheap to have the alarm installed and here in Australia im betting its double the price. Oh well thats just my luck

Thanks again guys
Old 10-27-2005, 03:38 PM   #13

BTW. Is the speedster kit made for a spercific year model or will it fit all year Boxster excluding 987. For example - Speedster kit for a 1999 model wont fit any other years only 1999.

Ta
Old 10-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #14
bmussatti

Chasp:

You can see the speedster covers at Porsche's web site. Go to accessories, then Tequipment, then Boxster 01-04. Based on this, it may not fit a '99. A quick call to your dealer's parts department can help you too.

A few forum members have the humps, but I don't know their model year. Hopefully they will see your question, and help out.